Resolved Cone snail??

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by kcbrad, Jul 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I received an order today and they sent me free snails - some nerites and a cone snail. Aren't cone snails dangerous? I'm pretty sure I read this before and I'm scared of this thing!! I don't want to put it in my tank....

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Totally predatory, and venomous.

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I don't know why they would send me one of these....unless they call it a cone snail and it really isn't...but it sure looks like the pictures on the web...it's about an inch long, maybe a bit more.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

But not necessarily bad. Some are totally reef safe. Cone snail isn't much more specific than 'snail' (ok, I exaggerate).

They are all venomous, but some aren't venomous enough to matter to *my* bloodstream. Some only eat marine worms (bristle control eh).

I think a pic and asking pagojoe 3reef member directly is your best bet here.

Though, if I didn't get an answer in a timely fashion, I would ere on the side of caution.

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Thanks Pered. I'll try to get a picture through the bag.

I am scared of the thing, but also feel horrible if I didn't put it in my tank....poor thing didn't want to be taken from the ocean to be thrown in the garbage :cry:

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Sure. I definitely wouldn't touch it. Tongs for sure. But if it eats snails... to the yard it'd go... I hope pagojoe responds and can ID. Would be neat if it is reef safe... Most aren't from my understanding, but I'm just basing this on 3reef, google, wiki, and a few other net based sources. I don't have one.

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Gah! of course I can't find my flipping camera cord anywhere. I'll try to get a picture to John. Thanks for the help!

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

yeah cone snails are often bad snails.

11. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

i would take it to the lfs if you dont want it or you can put it in your fuge if you have one

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Well John says it is definitely a cone snail, and one that doesn't look friendly....ugh! This sucks. Poor snail. :(