Condylactis and clowns

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by pshootr, Jan 31, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

While I am no expert on this, I have a little info I feel is worthy to share. In the past I have had a maroon clown, and a pair of skunk clowns that would go in to Condylactis anemones despite the fact that I was told, as well as read that these clowns would not go in them. The Condylactis are said to be hardy and when I bought mine years ago, they were cheap $6.00 each. Just to let some people know that it is possible, and in my experiance very possible for clown fish to use these inexpensive/hardie anemones. I feel this is a great way for people to get their feet wet with clown/anemone relationships because it is inexpensive, and very enjoyable to watch. This is not to say that all clownfish will use them, but there is a fair chance I would say. And at around $6.00 for the amemone it is certainly worth a try.

Cheers

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ronmichel1115

ronmichel1115 Astrea Snail

I have a maroon clown and just put a Condylactis anemone in the 75 tank last week, I will update if a relationship develops.

4. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

Well, I am sorry to hear it was not an instant bond. It could be that I was just very lucky. Perhaps one of your local stores might be willing to put a Condylactis in a tank with some of there clowns to see which if any clowns are interested. Also I sneaky attemt that I might try would be to place food for the clown around the anemone hehe.

5. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

My first tank had a Maroon Clown and a Condy- the Clown nipped at it as if testing it for a while and then left it alone so in my case they really weren't compatible.

6. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

I wish I knew why my clowns used the chondylactis, and some others will not. Since I don't know why all I can do is speculate, My first ideah is that lets say at any given reef where clown fish live there are two kinds of anemone on that reef, some clowns live in "anemone type 1" other clowns even of the same species live in "anemone type 2" for what ever reason. Now lets say that "anemone type1" is closer related to Chondylactis than "anemone type 2" is. This may suggest that clownfish formerly living on the reef in "anemone type 1" would be more likely to use a Chondylactis as opposed to clownfish from the same reef which were living in "anemone type 2" :idea2:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I have had clowns and condys host several times, even had a clown kill the condy cause it was rubbed it EXTREMELY hard all the time, haha. It mauled the condy, hahaha.

8. Click Here!

9. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

Goes to show even with love. there can be to much of a good thing. lol

I'm curious what types of clowns have used Condylactis in your tanks?

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I have used true perculas, a.occellaris, black occellaris, tomato's, and cinnamon clowns with condy's.

The Cinnamon is the one that "loved it" too much, haha

11. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

Cool, thanks for the reply. Seems you have had luck many times with condy's and clowns. Apparently it is possible for most any clown to use a condy. Thanks

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

clowns will use anything they like as a host, currently I have a mated pair of a.occelaris hosting in a xenia.