Urgent Condy Anemone Help!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by kayjay, Aug 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kayjay

kayjay Plankton

I have a Cody Anemone in my 55 gl tank that I have had for about 10 months or so & this is the first time I've seen this, don't how good you can see in the pics but there is some white stuff around the middle w/ some weird stuff in the very center. I have good light that bought about 6 months ago & nothing has changed except I have had a real battle w/ green algae & then I got red slime so I started using Algaefix in my tank after I took all the rock out & cleaned the whole tank. I put my 3rd dose in today. It says on the bottle it will not harm anemones. I tried not to use any chemicals in my tank but I have battled these algae problems too long, I know this is not the sulotion, I am just using this as a tool so I can get a handle on this algae problem. I do a water changes & clean my tank evry 2 weeks, try not to overfeed, & have cut down on feedings. I tested my water & my ammonia is 1.0 & nitrates are 40. My fish seem to be ok.help! I don't want this thing to die and poision my tank. :-/ trying to download picbut keep getting error message "download failed"

2. Click Here!

3. kayjay

kayjay Plankton

pic

Finially got a pic uploaded

Attached Files:

4. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

How long has your tank been up?

You've got something going on with those parameters and the algae in your pic fixing the root cause of that with changes to your water type, water changes and feeding habits are going to give you a better long term resolve than just a chemical fix.

I don't know much about nems so hopefully one of the folks who does will chime in real quick. give you a bump and say good luck.

5. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Ammonia and nitrates are not good...I would start with a couple of good sized water changes...just make sure the water has a chance to age and the temp, SG and PH are a good match with your tank.

6. kayjay

kayjay Plankton

Yeah I am going to do a good water change today but I am really concerned about this Anemone dying in my tank, Ive read a lot of horror stories. thanks for all the replies... even today it looks like there is a white cottony stuff coming from it but I haven't seen any of the stuff in my tank just there at the base of the anemone???? Make sense ??? I do understand about the water parameters, I have done my homework on that. I'm aggravated!

7. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

that nem might be dying in your tank already. that might be where you ammonia is coming from. i would get it out now because in those conditions it will not make it. then work on getting you tank stable and getting rid of the algae first. maybe think about another nem in a couple months once everything is under control.

8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

if the white cotton stuff is coming out of his mouth he should be yanked out unfortunately.

10. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

yep, i agree with everyone...i would absolutely pull that nem, your showing ammonia, which is the first sign the nem is starting to release toxins in the water.....from the pic it doesnt look very happy, and condys are the hardiest of nems...

def get your water in check before u get another nem, and i would look into getting a bubble tip

11. kayjay

kayjay Plankton

ok I did a good water change & an ammonia buffer & my ammonia is back to 0, nitrates about 20. A friend of mine said the anemone may be unhappy b/c about a week ago I took all the rock out & cleaned it except for the piece it was on but he said all the sand around for days makes it unhappy along with maybe the light not being as bright from the sand blocking the light. the anemone looks better & is even eating. I hate to take it out if its not dying & honestly I will have to have someone else do it as pathetic as that sounds. I've had it for along time. I will have it taken out if I think its dying though. I don't know :( thanks everyone!! I'll keep you updated :)

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

How did you clean all your rock exactly? Did you dry it out? That might have been the shock that your anemone is dealing with. You could have started your tank to cycle again.

matt