Concept Reef: What would you want to see?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Seano Hermano, Apr 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Not even a carpenter or woodworking shop? I'd look it up, cabinetmakers are everywhere it seems.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I just checked; the closest is 30mins. away.

4. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Go on OhioBiz, there are a bunch in Ashtebula and Portage

5. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

That isn't too bad, if you do it with the premade design idea. I'd call them up and lay out your plan and see if they'll do work for you. You'll also have to figure out how much profit you give them per stand. 25%, 30%? Also, take a look at some options for the stock stands you could show them.

6. Seano Hermano

I'm a bit confused about buying a cabinet (fixing it up) and reselling it. :confused:

I was thinking about maybe selling/advertsising through the fish stores and they would get a 10-25% cut.

It will be about $900 if I bought the tools I need in order to build.

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

No, you give them specs, plus the options the customer chose, then they build it. Essentially outsourcing the building part of YOUR cabinet design. It would be more efficient and cleaner then just you and someone trying to do it in a garage. JMO
    Also, you could try to flat-pack them with assembly instructions like Ikea and ship 'em cross country.

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

I will look into that. I'd need to see how much they charge and what my profit margin would be.

Now there's an idea I need to use. :) lol. Although this would be difficult to do if I am not working directly with the builder. It would need to be constructed in a way which could easily be take part and reassembled again.

Edit: but in order ship them across-country I would have to be with the builder to be sure they can easily be reassembled. Most custom cabinets are not going to be taken apart.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  10. Seano Hermano

I do already have a few ideas which could be flat-packed like you mentioned. They are on my website under the 'kits' section of the portfolio tab.

11. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Cool, look at petco stands. They are built to be flat packed and assembled. Try selling DIY kits first, instructions, materials list and some door knobs with your logo on them for about 50$ with shipping. See how you like it. It costs you next to nothing to print some papers or make some sketchup and PDF files.

12. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

You could market them as easy to move when changinb houses :)