Complete tank Upgrade

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by rc_mcwaters3, Jan 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

So i decided to start on my 75 Gallon build Since it is a new year (a little late but whatever) im upgrading from a 20 tall to a standard 75 (48x18x21) with a 55 gallon sump and am goimg to try and have the whole build done for under 800.00 with everything done myself.

First things first the stand: cost $145.00 built by me with no carpenter experence and alot of luck.The stand was framed with 2x4s and 2x6s and 3 inch deck screws for around 35 dollars :eek:.

This is what is startred out as:[​IMG]

once it was framed it look somthing like this:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that was the easyist part of the framing but it was nice to see it finished and it only took 5 hours to finish ;D. You cant really tell in the picture but the stand is around 38 inches tall so it can fit the sump under it and still have room to get my hands in there.

Once it was framed I had to "skin" and "trim" it out total cost $50.00 ( as a side note I went with pine and it was already sanded so it looked better than plyboard which is alot cheeper). this is it just skinned:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now comes the fun part framing :p. I had never done this before so it was interesting to say the least. The total cost for the nails and two 12ft. pices of crown and base board was $20.00. I cut the base boards at 45 degree angles ( its really hard is you dont know what your doing) and filled in my mistakes with wood putty. I used a hand miter kit from lowes that was 12 dollars and totaly worth the money in the long run. I did the top alittle more elegant but that was alot easyier than the bottom and I was Really happy with the way it turned out: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats all I have gotten to so far Ill be finishing it and painting the stand this weekend and will post more pics as i go through the reat of the build.

2. Click Here!

3. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

Looks real nice for someone who doesn't know what they are doing. Can't wait to see it finished

4. rc_mcwaters3

Thanks!!!! I really didnt have a clue so I think I did purdy dang good myself

5. rc_mcwaters3

I forgot to mention that I forgot to cut the doors out because I didnt know how but I got My father in laws Rotozip and am planing on cutting them this afternoon. What is anyones opinion on how to trim the doors? pics and ideas would be nice and please make it simple.

6. lam2558

lam2558 Plankton

7. bama

bama Humpback Whale

very nice. Are you going to build a hood as well? I think you should since you did such a good job already.

8. Click Here!

9. jerseyreefer

jerseyreefer Bristle Worm

10. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

Looks good! keep us updated! goodluck!

11. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

very nice but were are the doors? to put things under the tank? sump? or just supply's?

love the top edge you gave me an idea to spruce mine up a bit. have been thinking about what to do.

12. rc_mcwaters3

ok got a few pics for an update:

[​IMG]

LOL i gotcha bud :)

[​IMG]

also this my idea for a sump would love comments on weather its ok or not and im going to try and atempt to stain the stand so well see.