complete tank transfer

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Articles and How To's' started by reefermadness420, Oct 17, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefermadness420

reefermadness420 Flamingo Tongue

So I was planning on setting up a second tank in the 72g bowfront I bought two weeks ago. I decided that I'd rather just transfer everything. Anybody have any tips? I'd like to use all water rocks and sand. Livestock is simple four snails two hermits two damsels and three corals. I need any ideas on how to move sand with bristleworms in it

2. Click Here!

3. reefermadness420

also.unsure how to transfer my anemone
    I'm trying to do an entire transfer in less than one day possibly today or tomorrow

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

1. Get plastic bins large,storage.
    2. Make and buy more water then you think you're going to need, let it sit over night. Get some FW as well.
    3. Remove mechanical filtration and place in display water in container, sponge, floss, sock......preserve the beneficial bacteria.
    4. Drain water from tank almost all the way down., without disturbing the sand bed or rocks.
    5. Remove rocks and place in container with water from display. Corals can go here too.
    6. Catch and remove fish.
    7. Remove sand bed and either rinse it or add to it with new well rinsed sand. Do not transfer over a dirty sand bed.

Add sand to new tank, add rocks to new tank, place bowl in new tank and fill new tank with water, pouring it into the bowl as to decrease cloudiness.
    Turn on pumps at the right water level, place the older mechanical filtration in tank,. Let run for an hour and if appropriate acclimate fish, inverts and corals and place in new tank.

That is how I do it, no cycle.

SAW39 likes this.
  5. reefermadness420

thank you. That was perfect. Step by step. im also moving my lights and building a canopy. My sand is only about 3monthsold but I see bristleworms daily in it. my 55g will become my box turtles new home

Corailline likes this.
  6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Good luck with the move

7. reefermadness420

thanks its actually on hold right now probably til next Saturday the pet store I go to is out of reef salt

8. Click Here!

9. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

I'd suggest not moving that sand...you really don't want to disturb it. If you want sand in your destination tank, buy new and sprinkle some of your old sand on it. Releasing all that badness into the water is not going to be fun.

10. reefermadness420

inwasvplanning on adding crushed coral and some more sand but my sand is fairly new and has some gravel in it in not gonna get rid of 100 bucks worth of sand after three months

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

we'd advise you to rinse it really well and just keep a small amount to seed it when you put it back in the tank. You'll want to be cautious in adding in crushed coral because that can build up detritus in it

12. Vu Nguyen

Vu Nguyen Flamingo Tongue

I plan to use crushed coral instead of sand........I don't really like the bare bottom but this seems to be the new trend.