Complete RS-75 Setup For Non-Drilled DT

Discussion in 'Eshopps Inc.' started by RubberSideDown, Feb 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RubberSideDown

RubberSideDown Astrea Snail

I have a Fluval Osaka 320 setup (85 gallons) with lots of corals & fish. I've been running a canister filter, but it's time to upgrade.

I saw the RS-75 at my LFS and checked the dimensions - it will fit in my cabinet (this is rare)!

The cabinet dimensions are 17" deep, 14" wide, and 23" tall, but I can cut out the back of the cabinet (don't worry, it's not load bearing) to accommodate the extra inch on the RS-75.

My question is, what other parts are needed to have a completely functional sump system with the RS-75?

I assume I need:
    - an overflow box (which one?)
    - some sort of regulator to prevent flooding?
    - a protein skimmer that will work with my 23" max cabinet height
    - a return pump

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a complete kit for sale? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I know of no full kit. I would get an Eshopps over flow rated for 600gph. For a skimmer you will want one that can fit in the provided space in the sump. You will need to check out skimmer footprints to make a decision. You will want a pump that runs at about 100gph at 4 foot head. Water flow through the overflow is controlled by the return pump's flow. So there is no need for a regulator to prevent flooding. What you do want to do is drill 2 3/16" holes on opposite sides of the return line about 1/4" the water line to work as siphon breaks so the sump does not over flow in the event of a pump failure.

1 person likes this.
  4. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

start with the overflow box...many ways to go on that..Hopefully some others can give suggestions ...opinions on return pumps are all over the map...I have a generic Rio 2100 for my 90 gallon display...works great...protein skimmer...does that RS-75 use Bio balls...or how you going to do that part?...I'm not the one knowing a lot about that style..so your protein skimmer, I would guess would be relative to what your keeping in the tank...myself I have my CPR hob hanging on my sump with a 1200 maxi, and it does just fine...IMO its easy to over do it on the skimmer....as for flooding..??..hmmm, now we are back to the overflow box...get a good one...I don't recall what I used to run, but it was about 80 bucks, eshopps??....not counting pump and bulkheads and plumbing.
    Wish I could be more help..just don't rush into it...sounds like you have a plan..thats good..stay posted.;)

5. RubberSideDown

RubberSideDown Astrea Snail

Thanks for the quick replies! A good guy at my LFS is going to propose a complete setup with pricing... I'll post it here when I get it for a quick sanity check.