Comparing hydrometers

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by lillys Grandad, Feb 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

In full agreement that hydrometers without a doubt can be way off and without a way to verify it,you'd never know it.The very reason I always used two hydrometers and occasionaly took them to the lfs to test against a refractometer.Proper cleaning,useage and care is everything.I even keep mine covered after they dry with a towel to keep dust out,but i have a strong feeling they are gonna collect alot of dust now :cheesy:

2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

yup... that's all I was trying to point out...I have had those meters (the ones I used in video) for about 4 years, so I knew what the readings were/are when they are level and without bubbles...I was merely showing a very non scientific example of the variances between the products, and was trying to hurry things along for the video lengths sake....
    Enjoy your refractometer grinder...like you, I think they are fun to use also..but also, like you and others, I still use the $10.00 toy to spot check my SG regularly.;D