Comparing hydrometers

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by lillys Grandad, Feb 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Astrick was referring to the accuracy of the *hydrometer* comparison. They should have been placed on a level surface to get accurate readings. By holding the hydrometer in your hand you leave room for error :)

2. Click Here!

3. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

:thumb_up:

Also, I love the fact that since I am talking about hydrometers, the ad at the bottom of the page now features them lol

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Another issue with the way you used the hydrometers is that you did not tap it to get any microbubbles off the swing arm.

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Awesome thread. Learned quite a bit.

1 person likes this.
  6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Been using a hydrometer for 2+ years-works for me :)

7. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

+1 on the Marine Depot refractometer, I have one and it is spot on every time. Easy to calibrate using 0 TDS/ RODI water. You will not use your hydrometer again!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I love my ATI BRS refractometer.

1 person likes this.
  10. jdrak

jdrak Astrea Snail

same as grinder, I got an order from marinedepot with a refracto coming in thurs. This hobby seems so exacting yet very diy at the same time. I love the fact that in the 3 months I've had in SW I learn something new everyday. Alarm bells were ringing a month ago when I had the LFS do a water test only to find the only test way off was the salinity.

2 people like this.
  11. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Just chiming back in to say that I love this refractometer and am very pleased with it.I've had it a week now.It has a really nice quality feel to it and is spot on.It came already calibrated,i checked with the 35ppt soulution and ro/di water,reads perfect each time.After doing numerous water changes this past week (for reasons I won't go into here),but out of curiousity,i just tested calibration again,and it's right on the money and WAAAYY funner to use than my hydrometers.;)

Also,back to the the original compairison of hydrometers vs. refractometers,my hydrometers are spot on as well.Couldn't be happier with my purchase.:)

1 person likes this.
  12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Ahh here goes my hydrometer story.

I saw a decline in my corals over a couple months, I was using a Coral life hydrometer. Decided to take the water to the LFS and low and behold my SG was 1.032. The hydrometer repeatedly read 1.025.

I have used hydrometers for many many many years. I know how to clean them and how to read them.

The problem lies with quality control of these products. You need to buy higher end ones if you are going to use them. I suggest buying at least 2 and compare values from time to time. When in doubt I wipe out the refractometer to double check my results.

I am not going to knock the certain manufactures of hydrometers but I am pretty sure they lack in the quality control department hence the $8.99 price tag.

1 person likes this.