Comparing hydrometers

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by lillys Grandad, Feb 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Just doing a water change and decided to compare the differences of some testing equipment.;D

hydrometer comparison

opps, I stated 4 different readings..my bad...actually 3. whateeevveeer.
    ANOTHER DISCLAIMER..This is a GENERAL comparison..NOT Scientific....use whatever you want to use.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
    4 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Great comparison. Thats why we tell the new people to get a refractometer, hydrometers are too inaccurate.

1 person likes this.
  4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I found this a little extra interesting,thank you.

I use 2 IO hydrometers,keep rinsed well in ro/di and I check them against each other (i guess to feel like they are more accurate) both test the same and are relatively new as well.

Buuuut I just place a pretty good sized order from Marine Depot for some dry goods,etc. and one of the items I ordered is my first refractometer so I am very anxious to do this very same comparison myself.

I still,like you,want to keep my hydrometers for quick reference,but will be very cool having a means to confirm they are good.

Edit-I just tracked my package and it"s due in on thursday coming from Cali,woot!

2 people like this.
  5. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

cool...you will like it...and like It showed, its the real deal...they can be way off...I said I calibrate about every 90 days...I need to correct that statement...I CHECK calibration every 90 days or so...it has only needed to be calibrated once..

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hey who is the guy spreading the love in the 3reef tee????

In medical labs across the nation and world they use hydrometer to measure SG of urine and other bodily fluids, yes I know you are all thrilled with that news, they test them routinely for accuracy for the obvious reasons.

Point is that manufactures of hydrometers used for this hobby make a crappy product most of the time, more important point is that I shall now go dust off my refractometer because lilly's grandad made me nervous. Thnx

2 people like this.
  7. grinder37

Thanks for clarifing that as i'm new to them and i'm sure i'll end up with a question or two.

I do occasionally take one of them to my lfs to have them checked against a refracometer and they're actually pretty close,but it's been awhile since my last check.

One question I do have is from the instuctions on the ones I've looked at is why do they say to use distilled water to calibrate?Why wouldn't 0tds ro/di do?I've already bought a gallon of distilled for this,but just curious as to why?

8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

Funny you mention the tee,I'm wearing mine right now.lol

10. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

great video. thanks for sharing!

1 person likes this.
  11. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Its better to get some 35ppt solution and use that to calibrate. Its more accurate that way. It only cost like 4 bucks for a bottle that will last you years. But if you dont want to do that you can use 0tds ro/di. Just a chance it might be off a little.

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

What's interesting is that people buy those things. First time I saw one I had to laugh- they just look flaky.

I've always used the floating glass hydrometer, and I noticed you didn't include that one in your test. What's the general concensus on their accuracy and reliability?

1 person likes this.