Compact Fluorescent light?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by armison89, Jun 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You are correct, we are assuming that top of the line bulbs are being used. CF need to be placed on the tank top to get their best light penetration and the T5HO IME needs to be placed like a MH light to prevent bleaching and washing out of the colors. Stock T5HO lights from OEMs are definitely not the best as you stated.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

When light bulb replacement time comes get 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Aquablue Special and 1 ATI Purple Plus. You will get great colors from your corals and growth too. That is the color combination I use on my 75.

4. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I have heard of this combo before & people seem to be very happy with it.. I have Giesemann bulbs, but they seem not to last.. What are you getting for life out of the ATI?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I try to change at 6 months but have gone as long as 9 months and they seem to be doing just fine. I do use active cooling so I think that helps out also. I have read where folks go a year or more with them with little or no issues. The ATI run a couple of bucks less per bulb at replacement time.

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

;D hmm... I found this on the web, it might help John

Obsessive Compulsive Reef Disorder*|*Dedicated to Reefkeeping and Saltwater Aquariums

Personally, when I kept ATI t-5s I tried to change them every year, but often slacked and went as long as 15 months :lol: I can't say I ever noticed a difference in my corals. Of course with what you have invested in your system, I'd certainly be more OCRD too...

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Hmm this is scary, seems familiar:-[. You definitely get the disease with low tech equipment and then start to recover slowly by buying the high tech stuff to allow you more time for other pursuits.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

LOL, I hear you, I think it was less of a problem in college when I just couldn't afford anything. Now I guess I'm making up for lost time :eek:

10. armison89

armison89 Purple Spiny Lobster

thanks for all the help