Combo Vital, and blackpowder

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Birchell, Aug 28, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Hope everyone is having a good day,

I was woundering if anyone has used combo vital or blackpowder in there tank. From what I read on reviews it sounds good, but ive got no hands-on experence. Let me hear what you think,

Birchell

2. Click Here!

3. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

Never heard of it. Sorry

4. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Yep, heard of it. Actually, there is a FS that I go to and they have a "propogating" tank where they grow nothing but expensive rare stuff and most of their stuff is grown there along with other tanks. Anyway, he places all the stuff that he uses for that particular tank in the front and he happens to use the Vital + Black powder thing by Marc Weiss. You should see his tank, it's doing extremely well.

I've also heard that the blackpowder will "expedite" growth in zoanthids. I've heard nothing but good things on it. It must work. I say try it. One guy told me all you do is sprinkle it on the coral. My guess is that they absorb it in some way. He also told me you see results very quickly.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm not a fan of Marc Weiss products period. They have a bad rap in the hobby of being snake oil.

7. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

When I first started I used combo vital with blackpowder. The only down fall with it that I was told by a marine biologist and believe because it happened to me, is that if you had cyanobacteria before the chance of it coming back is very high and a very bad outbreak.

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I second the snake oil

10. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Yep its snake oil. Just marketing ....no quality product. There is good products out there. What are you trying to acheive with his products? Feed corals? Accelerate coral growth? What do want to do and we can recomend some good proven products.

Jay

11. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

thanks guys,

I was just looking for a good food for my corals. I was just being cheap, and wanted to get all I needed in one "wounder product" ha ha :). right now I only have two red mushrooms, and a rock with yellow polyps, and randoms zoo's on it. I have good pc lighting for a little 15 gallon 18" deep tank, so I will just hope the photosythisis will hold out for now. thanks,

Birchell

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator