Combination of CPR Cyclone CY 192 and refugium

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by tdm850, Jun 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tdm850

tdm850 Astrea Snail

I've been wanting to add a refugium for my 55 gallon tank for some time. I currently have a Rena XP3 canister and CPR HOB skimmer.

A friend of mine wants to get rid of his Cyclone CY 192 and I would to get it from him. After some research, CY 192 seems to be a pretty good product, but the major drawback is the lack of holdup space in case of power failure (that explains why CPR sells sumps to be used with Cyclone). Any thoughts for the CY192?

I would really like to have a combination of CY 192 and a refugium (which can double as an overflow just in case). What's the best way to set it up? I'm currently thinking about:

1. T-off the overflow box with a valve which can regulate the flow into refugium, while CY 192 gets the majority of water from the over flow box. Should I place CY-192 and the refugium side-by-side and make an overflow way high at CY-192 to the refugium just in case of power failure? In the case both CY192 and refugium have their own return power head.
    2. Placing the refugium in front of CY-192 (let refugium overflow into CY192 by placing refugium at higher elevation), but I think I will have two problems based on what I have learned from you guys. First, the flow to the refugium would be to great for refugium to work properly. Second, this set up still doesn't provide safety for power failure.
    3. Placing CY-192 in front of refugium and have the return from the refugium. Will beneficiary algae and plant starve to death if the skimmer in CY-192 works too well?
    4. Anything you guys can suggest.
    Thanks for letting me picking your brain (maybe it's a no brainer for some of you.......)

2. Click Here!

3. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Take a look at my equipment room setup...I run both a sump and refugium...fundamentally not much different than your considering.

My refugium is position 1 inch higher than my sump...then using "U" Tubs, the refugium over flows into the sump...instead of a T with a throttle valve to the refugium, in my internal over flow I have 2 overflows(this has it's own issues)...one to the refugium and the other to the sump...

On a power outage, there is sufficient room in both for the levels to stabilize...

4. tdm850

tdm850 Astrea Snail

Thanks for your input. Flooding CY-192 during power failure is my most concern. I picked it up last night (for $150, I hope it's a good deal) and it's pretty tiny. I couldn't resist so I also got Eshopps wet/dry filter (the smallest) with overflow box. I'm thinking to turn the wet/dry filter to either sump or refugium.

Did you build refugium and sump yourself?

5. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

I purchased my refugium (though it could have easily been built, the price for a used one was too good to pass) and built my sump from a 55 gallon tank.

6. theWookie

theWookie Plankton

This is a pretty old thread that I came across searching for the 192. How did it work out? About two months ago I bought a used 55 with stand and the very 192, pumps etc etc. After much fiddling with it I finally got it reasonable running well after upgrading to a Jecod DCT8000 due to noise and vibration issues. The cheappie skimmer is what is still killing me now and there is no room for a real skimmer. I am curious how you got to your refugium setup? I put my 192 into a 20g tall tank. That adds about 5g of water volume and overflow protection. With the 192 pushed to the left and left rear as much as possible, that leaves more than plenty of room for the larger DCT8000 pump - and very quiet. I just wish I could resolve the skimmer problems.