Combating Cyano.

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by reefnJeff, Dec 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. smoyer

smoyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

For sure, why bother trying to first get your tank in healthy working order when you can jump strait to the toxic chemicals. Makes sense.

4. smoyer

Already stated that previously.... Read the thread. Toxic chemicals!? I guess baking soda and Epson salts are toxic too. Right?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  5. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I bought some Seachem Matrix Carbon, but right now I have Phosban, Chemi-pure and some Nitrogen Sponge stuff in my canistor filter. I been thinking of changing that over to just all Carbon. I changed 15 gallons over a course of 3 days when I was doing lights out treatment.
    I sure hope my Duncan makes it, he was looking really nice, I am going to start checking my water.

6. reefnJeff

My first attempt is to try and rid this as natural as possible, so I thought to get a light for my sump/refugium and get some Chaeto, healthy plants in most cases means healthy water.

7. dillct

dillct Plankton

I second the Special Blend...it works and won't jack with your skimmer.

8. Click Here!

9. reefnJeff

This was my parameters 12/4
    Temp - 77.5
    Specific Gravity - 1.022
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 0
    Phosphate - 0
    PH - 7.8
    KH - 214 ppm
    GH - 180 ppm
    Calcium - 360 ppm
    Mg - 760 ppm

Whats the special blend?

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I have read the thread... I was emphasizing that only bad things happen fast in a reef tank. I know you are trying to be helpful, but reefnJeff, does not seem to appreciate that good things don't happen overnight, or even in a week for that matter and is panicking.

The issue is this:
    There may be times when you need to use more aggressive approaches, but when you've only been at it for a short time and have detectable ammonia (never a good thing by the way, regardless of the level), reality is it is going to take some time for the tank to stabilize. Jumping to a quick solution will likely ultimately lead to failure, as it's clear the tank isn't stable enough to handle it yet. Cyano isn't the end of the world, it happens to all of us. Real stability takes time though and "time" is longer than a week... Weeks maybe, maybe even months, but that's what the hobby is, preventing issues, dealing with them when prevention fails and in the end, taking pride in the results. I know as a newbie, it can seem impossible, but it isn't. Unfortunately though, if you don't learn from the beginning, to take things in stride and not panic, then eventually you will run into a problem that can't be solved instantly and you will give up... Or worse, you will try a quick fix, that doesn't work and crashes your already stressed system....

No, these are not highly reactive oxidizers.

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Your specific gravity is too low for a reef tank. Corals, on average, are adapted to a specific gravity of around 1.0264. Changes of 10% are shown to cause mortality in many corals. You are about 16.7% low, so, that is very stressful for corals. the lowest you would want to be would be about 1.0238. Although, that is if your reading is accurate, if you are using a hydrometer, these are not temperature calibrated and can be inaccurate to begin with. A refractometer, with a calibration solution is better. Or see if you can get someone else to test it. Being close to 1.0264 will leave more room for error though.

Add in the ammonia you mentioned before, and it is no wonder your corals are not doing well.

Cyano likes fish waste, and decaying fish food. So, thing like GAC and GFO and protein skimmers and macro algae, along with water changes, siphoning, and enough flow to prevent crud from settling are really the keys to preventing cyano. Sometimes cyano, once established is tougher to get rid of, as it stores a lot of nutrients for latter reserves. However, if you do everything right, for say a month or two, with no luck, then I would be more inclined to suggest other, more aggressive measures. By that point, your system should be more stable and healthy anyways and therefore more tolerant of extra stressors.

12. smoyer

and I was stating that there are a lot of household items that we use in our tank for one reason or another. Yes, some are toxic in high concentration but are not when used correctly and/or in low doses. If he not staring at cyano in his tank everyday he will be more likely to continue. Agreed, that he needs to figure out why he got cyano in first place whether it be new tank syndromes, not enough bio surface, both or something else.
    I recommend dosing the tank and then adding Dr Tim's bacteria and maybe some bio media.