colt coral

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by surferjimma, Mar 18, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. surferjimma

surferjimma Plankton

i have a off white colt coral. a few of the tips on him are turning white like he is dying. i have read that he is growing and that he is dying what do i do.

2. Click Here!

3. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    how is it looking now? are the tips falling off in little pods or does the coral look like its melting?

can you get any pics?

what are your parameters at?

4. imagine7070

imagine7070 Flamingo Tongue

I have two different colt corals that I bought from the LFS for pretty cheap. They were bleach white when I started. After about a month, they grew, turned a beautiful color, and started to "bloom". I would say, if it is turning white, that isn't a good sign.

5. surferjimma

surferjimma Plankton

colt.JPG
    here is a pic. as you can see there is a tip that looks bleached but there are still little fethers coming out of it.the colt was in the top of my tank and last night i moved him down. he seems to be doing a lot better and looks fin i just dont know why he would get a cupple of white tips all of a sudden.

6. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    i think that was the best decision you could have made, how much light do you have on the tank and howw much current up there?

7. surferjimma

surferjimma Plankton

i have one 250 watt 10000k metal halide bulb and 2 65 watt dual actinic 30/7100k blue sunpaq powercompact bulbs. the water movement is not that bad at the top so i know it was not that he was opening up when he was up there but he just started getting the white tips that you saw in the pic. ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

What is the size of your tank...er how close was the coral to the lights. I think that moving it down was a good idea. Colts can be very picky when it comes to lighting. I know that for mine...it has grown so big that it sticks out somewhat of the water...the top looks similar to the white area in your picture.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

All softs and LPS corals should always be set at the bottom of the tank especially if you have M/H lighting. And just move them up or relocate them every 2 ro 3 weeks people kill more corals by moving them several times a week then about any other way I know of.

11. surferjimma

surferjimma Plankton

i have a 55 gal. and he was at the top of the water which is about 6 t0 8 inch. from m/h. he looks verry well today thanks for all the info

12. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

My colt coral is by far my favorite...he is at the top and loves it there.BUT!! I have PC lights. They do not like a lot of flow or MH. I noticed mine get's that whitish tip also when it has grown. I wouldn't worry to much just yet, they are pretty easy and forgiving. IMO