Colt Coral Melting?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by PDX_Fish_Guy, Jul 31, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PDX_Fish_Guy

PDX_Fish_Guy Plankton

I have been doing freshwater tanks for a long time, and finally recently got into my first reef tank. Along with everything I got was a small colt coral.

It seemed ok for the first week I had it but now it is starting to look like it is melting. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

2. Click Here!

3. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

What kind of lighting do you have?

4. PDX_Fish_Guy

PDX_Fish_Guy Plankton

The tank is a 55 gallon with 3 4' fluorescents and a 95? watt actinic.

5. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

Answer me one more thing. What are your levels and how often are you feeding the corals? I guess that's two things.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You know this has happened to some others here.. everything else thrived except the Colt.. makes me wonder what the connection is.. [smiley=thinking2.gif]

7. PDX_Fish_Guy

PDX_Fish_Guy Plankton

Ammonia = 0
    Nitrite = 0
    Nitrate = Color on test kit is just a shade off of 0.

I feed the tank frozen shrimp or blood worms in the morning, then flakes or other dry food around 1:00 and again around 5:00

Like I said before, everything else is doing well including my green button polpys, my purple mushroom, another polyp colony, star polyps. I even have some of my rock that has what appears to be some form of star polyp that is starting to spread quickly. That dang colt still looks like it is made of wax and is melting though...

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

My pink tree did the same thing, haven't seen it in a while. I had it right under the halide and it hated it, moved it to a lower spot, slightly shaded with less current and it thrived for a long time before it turned to wax again. Where is yours?

10. PDX_Fish_Guy

PDX_Fish_Guy Plankton

It is currently sitting up where it gets alot of light, and is near a current (I thought these liked a current and bright light????)

I'll try moving it further from the current and down further out of the light and see what happens.

Jon

11. shawnz28

shawnz28 3reef Sponsor

Colts can be funny. I remember back in my old tank when i first got my colt he was miserable in the first few places i put him. I would move him about once a week till I found the spot he liked. Took me two or threee tries but once he was were he wanted to be he grew like a weed. Give him enough current to sway the branches but nothing rough.