Colt coral fragging!

Discussion in 'Frags' started by JohnnyBoy, Dec 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Purple Spiny Lobster

I need some advice! My Colt coral was growing out of control and decided to frag it. I have about 6 stalks to get to stick to a base. I'm not using a frag plug for this. I am using small pieces of base rock. The problem is that I can't get them to stick. Tried the glue but their to icky to stick. Also tried the toothpick (like Xenia's) but it cuts through the stalks. I heard using vail will kill them.........any advice would be appreciated! Tried searching and couldn't find anything that would help.

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Use bridal veil, a piece of rubble and, a rubberband.
    EDIT: And/or toss them in to a small clear container with a lid and holes for circulation. Kinda like you would for shrooms.

4. JohnnyBoy

Tried that also....forgot to mention it. Didn't stick either::)

I tried one piece with vail and it started to look like........well, it didn't work lol!

5. missionsix

The toothpick method works best with frags that have a bigger base. Put them in a low flow area. Don't put the rubberband on tightly. That is what causes it to tear. (besides the help from the flow)
    EDIT: Instead of toothpicks I like to use the "swords" you get when you order a bloody mary at the bar. In your case something a little more tropical.
    They are easier to stab the frags with and have a flat edge that holds it down better.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  6. JohnnyBoy

I can give that a try again I guess. Thanks Mission!

7. DanRF

DanRF Plankton

I put them in a low flow position as soon as I've fragged them with a rubber band loosely over them - just enough to hold them. The sandwich box idea has worked for me as well but generally they attach in two days on their own. Are they in relatively the same conditions as the mother colony?

8. Click Here!

9. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

I never tried it but someone told me to stick them in the sand (not sure how long) but apparently this helps "seal" the cut end and then allows you to glue it to a rock.

10. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

We had to use fishing-line (like 5lb test) and tie their base down. We too had the issue with the glue and the toothpick... Veil was highly suggested as a "no" from a group of local reefers I have been hanging out with as they have had a higher death rate from it.

So, the fishing line idea is what worked for us. Took about 5 days for them to stick to the rock then we cut the line off.

Hope that helps.
    -Fritts

11. missionsix

Any more info on that?

12. JohnnyBoy

I started a lil' test last night.

Test 1: Got 3 stalks and put a pile of rubble over the ends of the stalks and put them in a low flow area. Going to check it in a week and see how it goes.

Test 2: Got the other 3 stalks and tried the fishing line thing. Let's see how long before it sticks.