Coloring up Red Planet???

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by HollyG, May 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

I got a bunch of coral for free yesterday and I think one is a faded (green) red planet. I placed it as high as I could in my tank, roughly 10 inches from the light. (6" from the surface and bulbs sit roughly 3-4" above surface). Lighting is 4x24w T5HO, 2 blue plus, coral plus and aquablue special. A blue led strip and pink led strip. 20gal tank. You think it's sitting close enough to be able to get its colors back? IF it is indeed a red planet.

2. Click Here!

3. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

From what I understand if it gets to much light the green(base)color will fade.
    I would leave it for a few weeks a see what happens. Hope this helps.

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Right, but I would move it up slowly.

5. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

I don't think T5's would be enough to get the full red planet color, no matter how high you had it. I'm sure it will brighten up somewhat and continue to grow though.

6. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Mine was completely red and white under TEK T5's. I liked the red/green color, so I had to move it down quite a bit. It can really depend on the fixture.

7. HollyG

Ok... well this gives me a little more confidence about it hopefully coloring up if it is a red planet... it sure does look like one lol. How long should it take to start seeing a color difference you think??

8. Click Here!

9. jeffers0n

jeffers0n Feather Duster

Join the LED movement my friend! :D I got a bird of paradise bird nest and an ORA red planet as well, they both have great colors (the red planet is low in my tank and is still mostly red). The LEDs, depending on which type/brand, are BRIGHT!
    Good luck! :)

10. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

As they get bigger is when you see more red as opposed to green. And T5's will be just fine for a red planet. but if there was anyway you could get your hands on a PAR meter, that would answer the question for sure.

11. HollyG

Oh ya! Where should I start my search on a par meter?

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

You'll want to find a hobbyist or a LFS in your area you can rent one or borrow one from; they're very expensive to purchase.