Color Mixing, lookin to purchase more colors

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Anthos312, Mar 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Just FYI, the led's aren't what were referring too, its the drivers. And ya wonder why you always get the same response, its because a maxed out maxwell driver is an issue. I don't knock bridgelux ever, and respect your use of them. But why attack someone because you asked for an opinion and they just gave a their own opinion? And an opinion that may save ya a lot of $$$. You can save money as you like but when someone tries to help, sometimes its just that....halp, not an attack!

2. Click Here!

3. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Oh gawd. Yes, I understand your referring to the drivers. But i wanted to keep this thread off the topic of drivers as I reported many times.

And once again, I never attacked anyone, I was trying to tell people please stay on the topic of colors.

Cosmo- I can't tell you how many times ive heard this broken record/ one members opinion specifically. Lets for example do this: Pretend you started a thread about wanting to buy a green mandarin. You post all your information about your research and how you understand they are difficult to feed and care for. However, you realize this and you have researched and have planned methods to care for it. Now pretend that you constantly have a few members in particular that just keep repeating they dont eat frozen food/they are going to starve. And even after your posts about your confidence in your future care for them and planned methods for survival (refugium/dosing pods), they continue to repeat the same thing over and over almost as if they dont even read your posts.

This is whats happening, and its annoying, and theres no point in me even bringing up LED's anymore. This is my last post on this thread.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I apologize you took it that way, and must have had a past with this. I think for the most part the thread was on topic, and Tom just brought up a valid point. He doesn't know your history and research. Just was bringing up a concern that he didn't know if you were aware of. Now we know.

Once again, i apologize you feel the thread didn't stay on your path, not sure that its worth abandoning though. You made your point, and the thread can continue.

5. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

I completely understand what the op is talking about. Just pretend he never mentioned the drivers.. He is fully aware of the pros and cons about the led brand debate. What he is asking about is color combination. He was very clear in his first post about that point exactly.. Save the driver and brand bashing, warranted or not, for a different thread. This thread is about color combination and nothing more.
    In my opinion, if there is a mh bulb that you like, look around for the spectral analysis and try to mimic the ratios. It may not be perfect but it's probably the best way. Sometimes when you take people's opinions, it doesn't always mean it will be what YOU are happy looking at. If you decide yourself, you can only blame yourself and lessons will be learned.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Do all aquastyle/bridgelux led's run on the same max current? Just curious, i didn't know that. That would make things easier. Cree's run on all different max currents for the most part. That's what was confusing me/concerning me initially.

7. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Sorry guys, work is stressful and ive been a bit annoyed. I just need to take a breather since this thread started to make things worse.

I will choose to continue this thread, just please lets just non brand bash. I am well versed in this subject matter and have a lot of knowledge i am happy discussing. Lets just keep this from gettin out of hand, including myself too.

From my research, all aquastyle/bridgelux run at a max current of 700mA. And since they are in parallell, they should theoretically have the same current if they were all the same bulb type, since I am mixing colors, they may theoretically have a lower/different resistance causing more current to pass over these bulbs. The more bulbs, the more required current from the driver. I have personally tried to hookup 18+ bulbs, and the driver doesnt fire up. If you are below 18 bulbs at full power (zero resistance), that is likely approaching the max current of 700mA, which the driver can handle.

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Well that's kinda a nice feature over cree's! I have to/I guess choose to run them on all different drivers since my whites run at 1300 blues at 1000 and Uvs at 700! That would sure make wiring on a heatsink more streamlined!

10. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Yea, this is what allows me to have both whites and blues on the same dimmer/driver. It is nice to have each color on different drivers for color changing/combinations however its a nice feature that they all have a max current of 700mA.

This is what will allow me to have an "accent" string which is my thought of having some UV, violet, reds on the same driver. I just need to decide on what colors I really want.

Im very hesistant in mixing with CREE's unless I do end up looking at their technical data and seeing similar voltages/maximum currents.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Actually the colored led's at rapidled aren't even Cree's, they're osram and phillips and I think another.

I'd stick with what you're planning after learning how they run!

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Serenity NOW! Glad we're back on track. I'm hoping face of deceit or exactly pops in here!
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/led-aquarium-lighting/rapids-uvs-blues-came-crap-im-tired-130904.html
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/led-aquarium-lighting/uv-effectiveness-sps-130463.html
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/led-aquarium-lighting/wide-spectrum-led-build-all-125835.html