Colonial tunicate dying?

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by Swisswiss, Sep 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

and hellos again everyone,

So what has been in the past ided by users of this forum as a Colonial tunicate ( http://www.3reef.com/forums/id/several-ids-needed-117429.html ) first picture. seems to be going through a rough time. At one point it grew massive, covering almost the whole corner of my rock and looked really cool but recently it has turned from a nice white color to a dark brown, i fear its dying/died and if so are they going drastically pollute my water?

as always thank you for your feedback

-jeff-

P.s ill have a pic up asap

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Well, the first issue is it's not a soft coral; it's an NPS.

Are you feeding them appropriately?

4. Swisswiss

im not feeding them anything in detail, it seemed to be doing fine on its own filter feeding what was in my tank. about once a week i would give a mixture of powdered phytoplankton and brine shrimp mixed with 1 l of my tank water but that was mainly for the other critters in my tank.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

You really need to be feeding it hourly. That's why people use dosing pumps to feed them.

If it was the same employee who sold you a scallop, you just need to never talk with that person again. Maybe ask who the owner or manager of the store is and speak with them.

6. Swisswiss

uhuh? what scallop never bought no scallop. hmm but ok here in Switzerland its hard to get your hands on some decent salt water equipment but ill look into it online. but is it still worth the shot? she does not look like the thriving growing white tunicate she used to be. i read they go through phases is this true? am i to then think that the browning is def. a sign of loss? there isnt any white film or nasty stuff around it.....yet.

7. Swisswiss

oh and sorry for posting in wrong section

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I think what Inwall75 is saying is that they do not survive in our tanks. They require more food than our filtration can handle and in order to keep one alive, requires a very advanced setup and a lot of advanced knowledge and experience on the part of the reefkeeper. As you are asking the question, most likely you have neither and the person who sold it to you was clueless and/or a jerk.

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Sorry. Apparently that was another member.

Certain tunicates go through phases. The most common one is the palm tree tunicate dropping their "palms" and regrowing them. Others shrink up and then slough off a layer of "skin" and then come back. Target feed it a LOT more often and then really step up your filtration or water-changes so the rest of the tank isn't fouled with excess nutrients. Look into the Fauna Marin line of foods for non-photosynthetic animals.

Not a problem at all. I'll move it for you.

11. Swisswiss

thx pictures should be up tomorrow

12. Swisswiss

well where she once was she now blooms again. she isnt half of what she use to be but she is slowly but surly growing again.