Coild Denitrator Question

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Hoverman, Dec 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hoverman

Hoverman Astrea Snail

could you use a substrate in the center as opposed to bio balls or hair curlers, seems like this in itself would slow the flow and give a good area for bact. to grow?

2. Click Here!

3. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

You may try, however, please notice it is an anaerobic process that involves denitrification bacteria. The optimal growth and performance of these organisms can be observed around acidic (pH < 7.0). Intorducion of a typical substrate (that contains different Ca salts) will easily shift the pH to alkaline, (above 7) decreasing the growth, survival rate and performance of denitrification process! If you want to slow down the water flow but still maintain good conditions for the bacterial growth, use some good filter medium: extremely porous polished glass beads (EHEIM makes them). They definitely decrease water flow, however provide enormous surface for the bacteria!

Cheers!

4. Hoverman

Hoverman Astrea Snail

ok 1 more question, as i understand it the bacteria that needs the dark space is the one inside the filter media, not the coil, or do both require no light?
    I would like to wrap the coil around the outside of the filter.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

HNY, The bacteria grows inside where the bio balls(media) are, the coil is there to de-oxygen-nate the water to create the low ph(if I remember correctly) that the bacteria needs. Some ppl wrap the coil around the outside of the tube. Hope this helps, Luna

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

i wouldnt use a denitrator like this, it produces hydrogen sulfide, which will demolish the tank, i learned the hard way.

7. Hoverman

Hoverman Astrea Snail

I thought that only happens if the water does not have enough flow and becomes stagnant?

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

nope, denitrators work with no oxygen for the bacteria to fixate nitrates, when they basically fart or backfire hydrogen sulfide is produced which is deadly in large amounts. the smell of rotten eggs should give it away. a refugium, skimmer and live rock/sand would be a much better option.

10. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

Why not run the effluent through a GAC scrubber. Isn't that how the sulphur denitrators work?

I wouldn't see why the GAC shouldn't remove most the of the Hydrogen Sulphide. Might have to change it often.

11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

i wouldnt use any type of denitrator. a refugium, skimmer and live rock/sand does just fine. charcoal polishes the water, its not going to take out hydrogen sulfide.

12. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

I agree with reef_guru. Denitrator coils can do more harm than good, and WILL if you ignore them for a couple of days. Skip that project.