coil denitrator

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by bawest, Feb 19, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

I am setting up my filter for my reef. I have a 55, and I would like to have several fish, so my bio load is going to be fairly high. Thus, nitrates will be a problem, so I am thinking of using a coil denitrator. I think that a 50 foot coild of hose is acceptable, but I'm not sure what to use for the media. I was going to get the simple bio-balls, but then, I was reading about the fluidized sand filter, which isn't supposed to clog and is supposed to have more surface area. Can I use sand in the denitrator? What do you guys use? Does anybody actually use a denitrator?

2. Click Here!

3. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

I use a reverse flow substrate filter. It works just really slow. The media I use is Kent's Nitrate Sponge. The best thing to do is add a fuge.

4. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

I would vote for the fluidized sand filter. I have built a couple in the past and like them a lot.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I use the fluidized sand bed

7. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

Matt I saw several posts for coil denitrators, but most of them were 2 years old. I didn't know if they were still being used or if it was technology that has gone by the wayside.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have used about every thing and method there is and the coil is the most simple and reliable with no cost and worry. You decide LOL It just sets there and drips nothing more to by or mess with its all done naturally by bacteria..

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I don't have any experience with them, but those that shared their's in those threads had me pretty convinced that they can help out.

Tangster makes a good point about ease of use.

My calcium reactor worked too, but it added a layer of complexity to my setup that was something to deal with.

11. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp