CO2 Questions!

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Jane Fury, Oct 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jane Fury

Jane Fury Plankton

Hello :wave:.

I was just wondering about CO2. My planted tank has never had it and has always been fine, but lately I have noticed the decline of one of my plants (I have no idea what it is...sorry.)

Nothing has changed as far as water parameters, but my water lily is beginning to take over the tank, and is blocking the lighting with it's wide, waxy leaves. Could this be the problem also?

Either way, I have REALLY been gnawing on the idea of a CO2 setup. Would this be better bought or DIY?

If bought, which brand/setup should I get? I was looking into Hydors Green NRG Natural CO2 system...

If DIY this would be perfect as I am a DIY'er if I can help it.

I know I'm not throwing out much info here, but does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I've done the homemade C0[SUB]2[/SUB] before. If you want to keep it simple and stay small, do the 'ol yeast and sugar.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jane Fury

Jane Fury Plankton

Do you happen to have a good link that explains this? Do you have your own method? Inquiring minds want to know! (ie: me.) :p

1 person likes this.
  5. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Agreed, I'd do yeast and sugar. But I would not use regular yeast from the grocery store. Instead, see if there is a make-your-own wine or beer store near your house, and use brewers yeast. It apparently works much better for this type of application. There are lots of sites that describe how to do this, and also how to make your own reactore (which you will need, or else the CO2 will just bubble out of your tank uselessly. Check out the DIY section on www.plantedtank.net (under the Articles section)

Oh, and if your lily is blocking out the light, it is time for some pruning.

1 person likes this.
  6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I just did some you tube searches and found a few when I was messing around with it.
    YouTube - homemade co2