clowns of a different colour

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by aussie_reef, Oct 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aussie_reef

aussie_reef Plankton

i have a 72"x 12"x 20" tank with two black and white ocellaris clowns in a green buble tip anemone. i want to put a big magnifica in there but my lfs wont seperate them from the clown pairs that have made those anemone home.The problem is they never get them containing the black and white only the orange and white ocellaris,so the question is can i add clowns with different colour of the same species?

2. Click Here!

3. DendroGuru

DendroGuru Astrea Snail

nope you'll have a mated pair and some dead clowns

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have to agree, you may be able to get away with it because of the big tank, but generally you shouldn't add clowns that look different then the ones already in the tank. They are members of the damsel fish family and can be very aggressive when the want to. This is just my opinion, im no expert.

5. BloodyShirt

BloodyShirt Fire Worm

I had a mated pair of orange clowns in a 12g and migrated them over to a 155g.. added a new pair of black clowns at the same time.. they're bff's now.. first day or so an orange clown showed some aggression but nothing serious.. If you have 2 clowns in the tank allready though and they call it home.. you might have an issue.. put them in a bucket while you add the new ones :D

[​IMG]

6. DendroGuru

DendroGuru Astrea Snail

those are some real nice clowns you got there

7. BloodyShirt

BloodyShirt Fire Worm

thx... black ones are still kinda young and have a bit of orange on their chins

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. aussie_reef

aussie_reef Plankton

thx bloodyshirt i think ill try that and ill let yous know how i went btw nice clowns they look good together

10. BloodyShirt

BloodyShirt Fire Worm

yah let us know.. I was pretty hesitant when I mixed them together.. had another tank ready to move them to just in case it was a blood bath