Clownfish with White Spot

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by delalaym, Feb 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. delalaym

delalaym Plankton

Hello,

I bought this baby ocellaris clownfish and he is in my quarantine tank right now. I have noticed that he has this faint white spot on the top of his body, close to his dorsal fin (his dorsal fin might be a bit white too but it's hard to see, he is so small!). He is moving around and eating, acting normal... I went to the aquarium store and they told me that maybe he just has a torn scale or something. They gave me Melafix. He has been on that for 5 days. He still has the white spot...

Any idea?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Just be sure and keep it fed/healthy with some good/clean water quality. Along with the meds of your choice, you should have nothing to worry about.

4. delalaym

delalaym Plankton

What kind of thing could it be? he seems healthy (eating, moving around). If he still has it in a few days, is it safe to put him in my main tank?

5. MissReef

MissReef Plankton

I wouldn't add him to your system until everything is cleared up. I usually quarantine my fish for 3 weeks. Also, make sure you are giving him vitamins. I use vita-chem I have great luck with it.

6. piezopaul

piezopaul Bristle Worm

I've got a coral beauty in qt with the same thing. A scuffed area on his r flank almost by his dorsal fin. Not changing much. I'm upping my water changes from the main tank, using some amquel plus, dropping the sg to 1.019. Doubt its brookynella but maybe some malicite green?-Paul

7. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I have a Royal Gramma with similar markings but she lives in a hollow rock and the white is from it. I would wait a few week's before returning to the main tank....good luck

8. Click Here!

9. delalaym

delalaym Plankton

I have brought my main light down and put over the quarantine tank to have a better look a the fish (it was certainly bright!). It looks like he has cotton over his body. How do I know if it's a fungus/bacteria/parasite?

10. delalaym

delalaym Plankton

Here's pictures of my clownfish... Maybe it could help...

Thanks!

Attached Files:

11. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Looks like ich for sure. Don't add tho the main tank until its all cleared up or the other fish will get it. What other fish do you have? If the melafix does not work you will need cooper and be testing the copper.