Clownfish white stringy poop, help!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by kcbrad, Oct 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Hi All,

My clownfish has had white stringy poop for quite a while. I think since I got him, about 2 months ago. Since I'm new to this, I didn't realize it could be anything serious. Could it be an internal parasite? Or could it be a diet issue? He eats mysis shrimp, brine as a treat and pellets. He swims around all day, eats fine, looks fine, etc. Water is fine. Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 20, pH - 8.2.

If it is, should I get the medicine that I can mix in his food? And if so, is it fine for all the fish to eat the medicated food?

I do have crabs, snails, hitchhiker starfish, etc. so I don't know if the medicine would hurt them...

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, I'm very worried!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Anyone? I'm going to be heading to the pet store in an hour or so, so i would like to have an idea of medication to look for, etc.

Thanks!

4. jturnbull

jturnbull Purple Spiny Lobster

I think its fine im pretty sure thats how mine are too

5. FytinIrish992

FytinIrish992 Plankton

it may be the mysis cuz i have noticed that w/ my clown as well

1 person likes this.
  6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

mine have the same white stringy poop as well

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yup...sounds like an internal parasite. Metronizadole works well. So does praziquantel.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

my lfs has this with every fish i buy from them.... my emperor angel and 2 ocellaris have it.... but it seems to only come and go

1 person likes this.
  10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Well, I did nothing about it because my LFS had no good medicine. I started feeding more pellets and enriched brine (I know, not the best), and less mysis. The white poop is gone! Normal brown now, and it's not all long and stringy. So I think it was the mysis shrimp. I read online if the diet is too high in protein (I think it was protein) then the poop can look like that...

I'm still keeping my eye on him and if it comes back I'll treat him with some medicine.

Thanks guys (and gals!).

11. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

I am now experiencing the same problem. I am going to try garlic formula flakes and then brine and then mysis switching every day and hope that helps.

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Unless he's acting really sick, do try feeding less mysis and see if that helps. After I cut down on the mysis after a few days (maybe a week) my clown's poop was normal. My clown was tank raised on brine, so I don't know if the sudden switch to mysis upset his digestive tract.

Anyway, I feed a mix of mysis, brine and pellets and my clown's poop is still normal. So I guess it was just too much mysis!

Good luck! I hope it's just too much mysis for your lil' guy, too!