Clownfish not eating flakes and/or pellets

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Foreverfishy, Aug 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I purchased Omega One Pellets/ Flakes (for marine fish) since the day I brought my 2 clownfish home. They ate and liked it for the first 5 days. since then they wont touch it (feed 2x a day). However they love the frozen shrimp, bloodworms etc. like it's going out of style.

I picked Omega One since I had good experience with it when I had my cichlids but not it's totally the opposite. Is there a way to get them to eat it and seaweed?

Thanks

-Shrek

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I've always found it best to give them what they like, but that's just me. :)

Clowns will probably never eat seaweed though as they are carnivorous. If your pellets or flakes have vegetable matter, that may be one reason they stopped eating them.

4. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

In my experience they usually eat anything. keep feeding them what they like until they are really set in the tank, and then you can start transitioning, they more then likely wont eat seaweed

5. Foreverfishy

thanks for the info guys..I thought they wouldnt eat the seaweed though it would be cool to see them do it :)

6. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

i had alot of problems like this for a little while, my fish would only eat pellets..

then for a couple days, i fed nothing but flakes, eventually they started eating it, and now i feed a variety of stuff..

just keep offering it to them, they will eat it when they are hungry enough, still prolly getting adjusted.. also fish can go over a week with no food, ive heard even longer... also my clowns gobble up pods, so yours my be finding other things in your tank..

7. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I have 2 clowns in my 55g, initially I followed the LFS's advice and bought plankton pellets, and brine cubes, Kyorin brand, product of China, only 10% lead per serving. : }

At first they wouldn't even touch the pellets, choosing only the brine, so I fed the crabs a treat every 4 days or so. I found that overfeeding can give plenty of issues with my last tank, so I only feed every other day. Fish will eat everything they find and do a good clean up job on the non feeding day. But just for kicks I threw in a few pellets last week and they ate it, so seeing they were actually hungrier than I thought, I now alternate brine one day, and pellets the next to keep a rounded diet, I just cut the amounts I had been using in half, so as not to trash the tank with refuse.

8. Click Here!

9. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

When buying a bucket of instant ocean salt it came with a seaweed gel package to tempt you to buy more product I figures it would be harmless to see if my clowns would eat it and sure enough they did. Not omnivore but vegi only. So they do eat a little seaweed and I'm sure in the big blue they do there as well. Try a garlic or food enhancer such as selcon or garlic extreme soak the flakes or pellets in it and your fish will go nuts for it also it boosts your fish immune system!!!

10. Foreverfishy

Update..they arent eating any food anymore that I give them.They swim up to the food as if to grab it, once they do that and realize what it was (let's say brine shrimp) they will spit it out of their mouths.

Not sure if I should run to the LFS and purchase something else, maybe it's a little of overfeeding. Not sure, any ideas?

(if it make a difference they are moving in their little area they like to swim and seem like happy little fish)

11. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Try going with the frozen variety pack (I forget the name). It has squid, mysis shrimp, marine cuisine and 1 other. My clown's staple diet is pellet food but I supplement with a variety as well as garlic one or twice a week.

12. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I use 5 star reef bar has just about everything in there you could want and my fish and coral go crazy for it. My clowns also nip at the seaweed I put in there for my tang weird fish I know.