clownfish mystery

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by cfusion, Mar 6, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cfusion

cfusion Plankton

My black clownfish has a white spot, looks like something attached; now some white rings on tail fin.. Is this ich, velvet, or other? Took some photos.. Fresh water dipped 3 minutes, nothing fell off or looked to detach.. I have iodine and melafix for salt.. No other treatments on hand.. He came home this way so I don't want to add him to my qt or main tank yet.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Look here is all I can recommend, and I am not a big fan of fw dips or baths. The pH should be identical as well as the temp,,it's just too much stress with not a lot of benefits. I would add the fish to the qt that is what the qt is for.

http://chucksaddiction.com/disease.html

mdbostwick likes this.
  4. cfusion

cfusion Plankton

The site for velvet and the other like ich recommended it. Qt has some others in it who are not sick, almost ready for release. Don't want to taint them. It's supposed to be extremely hard to get rid of. Don't know why the photos don't attach, any help there?

5. Corailline

Look at the sight, does not sound like velvet by your description. Clown fish are prone to Brooklynella, which presents as a white coating, mucous. Marine ich looks like grains of salt. You may be seeing Lymphocyctis. A fresh water bath or dip is really only to treat symptoms, it will not kill all the parasites or bacteria. I know it's recommended by some sites, but I have never had good luck long term. The fish needs to go into QT, back to the LFS or in a separate container with o2 and a heater, those are really your only choices. Or move your QT fish to the display..

Good Luck.

6. cfusion

cfusion Plankton

There doesn't see. To be a white coating. Just the white spot near head, not in gills, now there are white rings in the tail fin. Read the article, not sure what it is. Moving the qt occupant to tank. The Newby will be added to it, then still need to figure out what could be ailing it. Didn't notice the white spot when I got it. During drip acclimation we saw it, now while holding, trying to figure out what to treat or do with it..

7. Corailline

Go slow and research, it seem urgent now but you have time to look around, figure out what is internet myth and fact. I will post some stuff in the am for you.

8. Click Here!

9. cfusion

cfusion Plankton

Apparently it was urgent. Clown died Sunday night. Lfs diagnosed as cryptocaryon. Now dosing the qt with one other inhabitant and main tank as precaution. I went slow researched, but was unable to diagnose or obtain anything to treat it with until today. They sold metroplex as the fix for the crypto. Said dose both tanks as a precaution, same nets used in both. Now will have a net for each with tools for each.

10. cfusion

cfusion Plankton

My water parameters 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, lowest ammonia, ph 8.1, calcium 420, salinity 35 PPT, sg 1.026, alk 12.6 mg 1580. All well within parameter. Water change was done 5 days ago, so isn't water quality. Fish was sick from get go. Bta that liked to be donut shaped also died Saturday.. Lady from lfs pulled it off a cup and it appears to not have liked that experience. It never got a sticky foot back and never recovered. The lights are led reef marine and t5 ho with moonlights on timers.

11. cfusion

cfusion Plankton

I'm especially concerned as the fish never exhibited signs of lethargy, rubbing against rick orl loss of appetite. It continued to eat, swim, and interact with the anemone. It appeared to spend a lot if time in the direct flow of the spray head. No outward signs of sickness apart from the single spot, which we thought was an anchorworm or similar and then the round circles that developed on the tail fin. Never seen that before, quite sure it isn't ich, but treating nonetheless.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

so sorry for the loss of the fish and anemone :( I am not familiar with a disease that presents like your clown.