Clownfish just clowning around?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by swagger87, Dec 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

The clown's mouth may have been stung by the coral. It does happen sometimes.

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

My clown swims with his mouth open a lot too. I think it's just something they do...cause he's perfectly healthy. Sorry, don't know!

4. scootch1827

scootch1827 Astrea Snail

I personaly think it's becasue he is trying to ward of other fish! do you have any other fish in the tank? I know my pair do that when fish swim around my anemone. They swim in and out with their mouths open.

5. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

I think this could possibly be the reason. I had thought about it, but I wasn't sure it that would be strong enough to hurt him.

I don't think this is the reason. I have a Female Watchman and a Strawberry Dottyback, but the watchman is always at the bottom hanging out in her burrow with her Pistol and the Strawberry is usually just swimming in and out of the hole in my LR on the right side of the tank. My clowns' coral is in the top middle of the tank and that's where they stay.

Thanks for the guesses guys!