Clownfish hosting duncan?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Boywithafishtan, Jul 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey everyone,

As some of you guys know, i just got 2 clarkii clownfish for about 2 weeks ago. These guys are awesome, and they're doing fantastic! At the start, they both were hosted by my sebae anemone. However, now one of my clownfish has confused my duncan coral with an anemone, and its currently hosting it. This clarkii is going CRAZY with this coral. He itches himself up towards its tentacles, and he loves sleeping in it at night. He also feeds it with cocktail shrimps, which i think is kinda funny to watch (I'll make a video soon on that). My other clarkii host my sebae anemone, and he also feeds his anemone with food. However, the duncan coral doesnt like it. It accepts some of the food, but it closes up all the time, since the clownfish disturbs it by swimming up and down the coral. Does the coral get used to it somehow? Never tried having clowns who hosted corals so i really need your guys help. This duncan is very healthy, and i definitely expect this to come out well :) I've seen various clownfish who host Euphyllia corals, without the coral even minding. Do they just have to get used to the clownfish, so that it knows its not a threat? Or does duncan not like clownfish?! Really want to know whats going on :)

2. Click Here!

3. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

My wellsophylia hosts my 2 black and white ocellaris, it concerned me at first and I keep an eye on it and will move it if it looks like it is stressing out too much or at risk of getting killed. I was concerned just as you are and the research I did on this site pointed out stories about their coral being killed and others who had the corals thrive. I would just monitor the coral and if it shows signs of impending doom make a
    Choice and remove the coral or the fish.....

4. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

My clowns are hosted by my bta, elegance coral, and Duncan's as well. Mine never try to feed the Duncan though so that's interesting your clarkii does.
    Clarkiis get big. So I'd watch the Duncan you can try moving it and see if he leaves it alone.

5. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

I'll keep that on my mind! :) Yeah, its really funny. I think these guys are wild caught, and thats why they do it. He does it ALL the time. Whenever i try to feed my goby, i let the shrimp sink to the bottom but right before it hits the bottom: NOPE! A clownfish takes it and swims as fast as he can over to my duncan and puts it right into its mouth, the same with my other clown and the sebae. I'll make a video soon, (tommorow hopefully) and you can try to see it. Its really funny, can watch these little guys all day. Yes, luckily these guys arent that big yet, only a little over 2 inches. However, they are growing quickly, so i gotta take that into consideration :) Thanks for the tips!

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

It'll never change. You had stated about at first they were both 'hosted' by your nem.

Then, like always, the clown is now hosting something, as if the duncan were going over to the clown.

It's all good- and it'll never change I guess. A clown/clown gets hosted by something, heater, hammer coral, Nem., rock, and it'll be seen as the clown hosting the....

I'm glad you're clowns are doing well- not clowning around much? ;-)