Clownfish Fin Rot? Sting? or Other...?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by HollyG, Aug 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

This is my only clownfish and she use to be hosted by my frogspawn, but that thing was getting way too big for my 20gal and I decided to rehome it instead of always needing to frag it... The only other LPS in the tank are my 2 torch corals, a purpleone and a green one, both side by side... immediately after removing the frogspawn she went straight for the torches. I do infact have a bubble tip anemone (which hosts my sexy shrimp lol) and she doesnt show much interest in it much at all. So, she has now been being hosted by the torches for a good couple months now. She does unfortunately have scars on both her sides now as you can see in the pictures... but my concern is actually her dorsal fin! I tried my best with the camera I have to get the best possible pictures I could, but for those of you who know, it is difficult to take pictures of moving fish with a crappy camera lol. The tip of her dorsal is all white! She had in the past had a couple white sting marks on her side and dorsal before but they had healed and went away within 24 hours... but this was there yesterday and it is still not gone today! I have now noticed some white specks on the tail fin of my Talbots damsel too. But my anthia and 2 chromis are perfectly fine. I have had white specs on fins before which ended up being sand or detritus stuck on teh fish... so i will wait to see if those specks on teh damsel goes away. As for the clown... what do u think this is? Just a really bad sting or is it fin rot or something else? I have NEVEr had any parasites or illnesses in my tank before... and I have not added anything new lately except 2 little sexy shrimp. I did a water change yesterday, and I got a brand new skimmer 3 days ago which is still breaking in. But thats the latest things done to the tank itself. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0-2ppm, pH 8.2, SG 1.024. Torches r only LPS in tank... zoa rock, green star polyps on back glass, bubble tip anemone and rest is all sps. Birdsnests, montis and Acroporas. Let me know if there is anything else u need to know? I dont want to medicate the tank unless I absolutely NEED to because of all teh coral and anemone I have in the tank!... I want to be sure I know what it is before dumpnig a bunch of chemicals and medications in my reef! thanks guys!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

HollyG,

No pictures?

4. HollyG

oops lol here r the pics!
    fin rot 011 (800x623).jpg fin rot 025 (800x591).jpg

I think i was a little to quick with the "post" button LOL

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well Holly, you're right I can not make out much from the image other than the Dorsal fin does look to be white in appearance.

Is the tail tattered?

Torch corals stings usually cause hypermelanization, black areas.

If it were my clown I would feed Selcon and consider giving some Melafix. If it gets worse I would prevent the clown from residing in the Torch, by removing one or the other.

6. HollyG

Yes, she's had those black areas before, especially when she started being hotsed by the frogspawn. When she switched from the frogspawn to the torches she got these white areas, and she did have them before but they were not as large as this one! That's why I'm wondering if this time it isnt just one of the white areas she's had before. Her tail seems perfectly fine. I'll go and try to take better pics.... it's times like this I wish I had a better camera

7. HollyG

well, i tried getting better pictures.. but imy camera just isnt up for the challenge. Ok, well ill keep an eye on it and if I absolutely need to I will remove her :'(.... she was my very first fish ever when I first started 1.5 years ago!!!! Because I really do like my torches more than the clown.