Clownfish biting mushroom

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by jspicer16, Apr 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jspicer16

jspicer16 Bristle Worm

Anyone know why my clownfish has been sticking his head in my hairy mushroom and biting it... Also been doing it to a toadstool

2. Click Here!

3. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Sounds like he is trying to find a host. Clowns will find something to substitute an anemone if their isnt one in there.

4. jspicer16

jspicer16 Bristle Worm

No anemone in the tank... It's stocked with corals and I've never been brave enough to try an anemone. Plus I heard they will move and sting my corals

5. Zoanthids21

I just got one about a month ago for my clowns..They love it, and the nem is in the back of the tank and not bothering any corals :D. But im thinking that he is prob just hosting to a coral.

6. jspicer16

jspicer16 Bristle Worm

What kind did you get? I got a thirty gallon with six T5 HO bulbs...water params always test great.

7. Zoanthids21

I have a GBTA, I think 6 bulb T5HO should be fine..GBTA are a more hardy anemone..But they wont open so large with a MH over the tank..Mine was open to about 7" then it started to relize it didnt need to open as much to get all the light.

8. Click Here!

9. jspicer16

jspicer16 Bristle Worm

I don't know, I might put some thought into it...I've just heard horror stories of them moving alot and killing corals...

10. Zoanthids21

If your tank is just full of frags starting to grow then just place your anemone on some rock away from corals. If it starts to move then move the corals off the rock until it finds it place.

IF your corals are all growing all over the rocks and barely any rock is really clear for a anemone to reach 12" in size..Then i would not get one.