clown with fin rot

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by serotonin, Jun 28, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

Hello all, it looks like one of my clowns has fin rot. His tail fin looks more lik3 it was caught in an impeller to me, though it is virtually impossible for it to happen. I was on vacation all last week so im assuming stress is a likely cause. It is quite active and eating, but there is also a very thin white film on it that i can hardly notice. not sure what to treat the lil dude with but he's going in QT in a couple hours.

Here's a pic, please post what you think i may be able to treat the water with to help the lil dude out. I have prazi pro and cupramine. Not sure if either of those are going to be of any benifit. THX !!!

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Could it be another fish that has taken a few bites out of the clown?

4. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Could it be other fish taking a few bites out of your clown?

5. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Sorry for the double reply. My blackberry - or maybe its user is just acting stupid.

6. serotonin

possibly..... its quite odd because the missing tail vs the healthy looking body is separated by a perfect horizontal line. tis' quite odd.

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

If there is white film on the injury... fungus. I say fin rot. When a fish nips at the fins, it looks like a tear and that's it.

8. Click Here!

9. serotonin

the white film is all over the fish. its dark now so i cant inspect again until morning. it is quite faint though.
    EDIT: i just looked at it with a flashlight (quickly) and the tail is a lot less red and more orange. or what's left of it's tail rather. even in the pic above you can see how red it was, that appears to be gone now. perhaps that wound was really fresh when i had found it but then again it could just be the light.

quite odd, the only other creatures in the tank are 2 other clowns that are smaller, a coral beauty that has always been extreemly friendy, hermits and a cleaner shrimp. :shrug:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  10. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Sometimes they will get fungus when the water is a bit dirty. You can alleviate it by doing water changes until it goes away, maybe once a week. Then keep up on them. Check your filtration too. I wouldn't worry about it, really.

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

There is only one cause of fin rot poor water quality. Not saying your water is bad, but could you have missed something. Check your waters Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates. and PH.

On the bright side fish will regrow their fins so once we find the cause he should be OK

J

12. serotonin

I tested my water parameters at home a little bit ago, everything appears to be great. Just to be sure I took a vial of water to the LFS and they confirmed that all parameters are 'perfect'. Salinity, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, alk, ph, temp are all great. I purchased some maracyn to stock my arsenal of meds up, though I'm not ready to dose this at the present time. I haven't put the lil guy in the QT yet as the salinity in the QT isn't the same as the MT yet. That'll have to wait until I get home again (work, blah.... hehe )

Thanks for the great suggestions/posts so far, I'm afraid I really don't know what more I can/should do besides QT the lil dude. I just did a 20% water change on the past Sunday too.

:confused: