Urgent Clown Trigger Velvet!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ryland, May 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I have seen more than my fair share of ich and I have never seen ich that is this small nor in the sheer numbers. I am not positive but fairly certain it is velvet. I keep my display tank at 80 degrees. So your saying my fish are stressed due to this? From my understanding if anything it will speed up the life cycle of the parasite at higher temps. I am not just dumping garlic in the water either. I am adding heavy doses of it to his food. But I do agree if his eyes follow me then he is alert.

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

it sounds like you have plenty of experience with this so i trust that it is ich, from that and your description of it

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Of course 80 degrees is fine for your DT.

I'm saying it's not necessary to raise the temperature from 75 to 80-84. That misinformation is transferred over from freshwater ich, for which it is an effective solution. Sorry, but potentially raising the temp to 84 degrees is not a good idea. I wouldn't give that advice to anybody, as there is no basis for it.

I had assumed that you kept the water at 75 degrees so that it could hold more oxygen.

In any case, with using Cupramine, you're covered whether it's velvet or ich.

5. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

raising the temp will help the situation, but for the health of the fish i wouldnt go above 82, also you could try hypersalinity, taking down the salinity to like 0.016 as opposed to 0.025

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I do not understand why I keep seeing advice to elevate temp in the marine aquarium, seems to be a run of it lately. It may speed up the life cycle but it not the least bit effective as a treatment IMO.

I really think barbianj is giving very sound advice, that I would not hesitate to follow.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Raising the temp from what I have read helps to speed up the life cycle of a parasite. Not to mention it works wonders for the appetite of the fish in my experience. (Which is the main goal)

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Lowering the salinity is not effective against velvet. While I cannot take any scrapings the fish is covered in millions of very tiny white spots and the fish appears to have a second skin. If this isnt velvet then I dont know what it is. If its just an extremely horrible infestation of ich then okay....cupramine will work against that too. IMO it is velvet, however.

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

hypersalinity works with any parasite pretty much.

11. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Correct me if I am wrong but doing this while treating a fish with a copper medication is fatal???

12. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Post a pic? if you could perhaps someone can ID it for sure- with proof of such.