Clown is sick

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by ducktales, Oct 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ducktales

ducktales Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I think I might have stressed my clown after I did a water change which bumped my SG from 1.023 to 1.025. Now, the clown is just barely swimming on top of the sand, sometimes tilting sideways, don't eat, and has white stringy substance coming from its underbelly. i think it's on its last leg.

there are no white spots, on the body or head.

what could be wrong?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

White stringy poop is usually indicates parasites.

4. ducktales

hes also opening and closing his mouth all the time, what does that point to?

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Uuuuh.....breathing? :D Seriously, is the fish breathing more rapidly than usual?

6. Shu

Shu Astrea Snail

I thought mine was doing that also. I wake up at 6 and mine was sideways on my magfloat. Mine take forever to wakeup though. I have read though that sometimes they sleep in weird positions. But the eating part would have me worried. Also mine had the stringy thing but it went away in a day.

7. ducktales

i guess you can say that it was breathing more rapidly than my other clownfish.

8. Click Here!

9. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Gilling (Breathing heavily) and hanging out at the bottom can be signs of ammonia poisoning, have you checked your ammonia levels. And like AM said the stringy poop usually has to do with parasites.

10. ducktales

ammonia and nitrite is at 0, nitrate is at 5-10ppm. how do i treat the parasites?

11. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

From what I got out of a google search seems most recommend Paracide-D or Paracide-X. But I couldn't find anything about it being reef safe or not, or if it is saltwater or fresh only.