Clown Goby Starving...HELP

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by GraviT, Jul 31, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

We've had a yellow clown goby living in our tank for a week now. We thought it had been eating, but discovered yesterday evening that the poor thing is skin an bones!!! He will still go after frozen brine shrimp, but just spits it back out. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can try feeding the thing? I can't stand to see it starve to death!! [smiley=worried2.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Hi Gavit,
    I have 2 clown gobies and they love newly hatched brine shrimp. I just take a canning jar and fill it half way with tank water put in some brine shrimp eggs and an air stone. Let the air stone run for about a day and then take it out and let the shrimp stay in the jar another day and then just dump some in your tank, They love it. ;) ;D........ John

4. GraviT

Thanks, I'll pick up some eggs while I'm out today...unfortunately, I don't know if it will hang in long enough to wait for the them to hatch. :-/ A couple of the LFS around here have lots of live brine, I'll try a bit of that in the meantime.

And now time for a water change...hang in there little guy!! [smiley=army.gif]

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Good Idea He may go for that also it is just usually a lot larger mine do also eat the store bought live brine ;) ;D .............. John

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Brine shrimp are good to supplement with other food but in themselves are not very nutritious.

I would get a plastic turkey baster and a shot glass. Put some water from the tank in the glass and thaw some mulchy frozen food that has a ton of stuff in it like Formula1. I am sure there is other stuff too, but pick up some Forumla1 as well.

Then suck the stuff up with the turkey baster and slowly get it near the goby after feeding your other fish (so they don't eat all the goby food) and release some. He should go for it. Formula used to fatten up my fish and make them quite colorful. heh. If they only knew how much I recommend them.. hmm.. ;D

Anyway that should help. It helped with my Diamond Goby. He loved it.

matt

7. GraviT

Thanks for the advice guys. I picked up some brine shrimp eggs and some Formula2 (was supposed to be 1, but it was wrapped in newspaper until I got it home). The goby seemed to go for this stuff a bit more..hopefully, he will turn the corner.

Hrmm, now that I have a food targeted at herbavores...I think I need a new fish..hehe [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]