Clown full of eggs?

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by ckiel24, Oct 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ckiel24

ckiel24 Astrea Snail

Well to give a little history, I added a 2nd false perc to my tank about 2 weeks ago. Right after adding the 2nd one to the tank it instantly went to its side showing the other it was dominant. I was checking out my tank last night and noticed the bigger one of the two was looking a little chubby and has an area on her chest that is alot darker (almost black) then the rest of her. The only thing that I can think of is she is about to drop some eggs. Is this something that happens this fast or is there a different explanation for the bulge and dark spot?

2. Click Here!

3. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

Can you post a picture ??

4. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I would think it would be weird that they would breed that quickly but I'm speaking from opinion, not experience. Have they cleared an area in the tank that the pregnant one is hanging out in? Pictures would be great.

5. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

breeding so quickly, i'm not too sure about that.

Not only that but the dominate thing takes a couple of weeks for one to actually change in sex.

Maybe the other is just eating all the food?

-fritts

6. ckiel24

ckiel24 Astrea Snail

That was my first thought but I only feed once every couple days and last night was feeding night. The only thing is I noticed before feeding time. I also noticed the smaller one of the two swimming in front of the bigger one and doing this goofy looking curling thing. I will load pics here in a bit and see what ya think.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Ive had the same mystery fat clowns as you. In my case, it was them eating LOADS of pods. The curling is normal behavior and doesnt indicate that they are about to breed. If they have been vigorously cleaning a section of flat rock on the other hand... ;)

8. Click Here!

9. ckiel24

ckiel24 Astrea Snail

Well heres a pic of her. I just seems to me like there is a lot more of a bulge there then usual.

[​IMG]

and the pair of them:
    [​IMG]

10. JohnFritts

They seem VERY small to be breeding this early.
    They look very healthy tho!!!

11. JohnFritts

Personally,
    mine just started cleaning the area around their anenenenenoommee and they are becoming very protective about the side of the tank they are on. So while I'm sure they are getting ready, I also know that the male (smaller one) is way too young to breed. So I figure that while the female is happy and ready to start with the eggs - the male is no where close to being ready.

My female is almost 4 inches long while the male is just a lil over 1 inch.

-fritts