Clown fish with fin rot

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Hunter5, Apr 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hunter5

Hunter5 Astrea Snail

I'm pretty sure a clown fish I bought a couple days ago has fin rot. Looked fine when I got it, has been eating and swimming normally. Started to see some damage to the tail fin, damage as in splitting/degeneration. Today the damage has rapidly progressed and the tail fin is almost gone. There's a very sharp horizontal line of ok and not ok color. From what I've read it sounds like rot. The only other fish is another clown, but they seem to have been getting along fine, they're both pretty young, and the other one thats been in there a couple months is very healthy. I think the stress of a new tank did it. My question is is there any way to help the situation without antibiotics, which id rather not use. My parameters have been stable.

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

fin rot is a very rare thing that fish get, usually it is a case of territorial aggression in the tank. i had a maroon clown in my old tank that seemed to get along great with everyone but 3 weeks after introduction i finally noticed his fins were very torn. they will get along fine and if it stops they should heal up just fine. but if it doesnt stop theres no long term consequences this cant kill a fish unless the aggression gets so bad it is stressed to death.

4. Hunter5

Hunter5 Astrea Snail

It's just weird because I've been spending some extra time watching the tank and I see no aggression between the two. I only saw one little incident the day I got the fish where the new fish (with the problem) was the aggressor. It just kinda nipped the face of the other clown. And that was it. They swim around fine together. Could nipping from another fish cause the skin ahead of the wound to be pale and create a clear/Sharp demarcation line between Orange and pale skin?

5. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

usually when you are around the tank(yes they can see you there) they will not be worried about their territory more so about you. so usually it will happen either at night or when your not watching the tank.

6. Hunter5

Hunter5 Astrea Snail

Interesting. I wonder what else they do when I'm not looking. Thanks for the info, I hope thats all that's going on.

7. Hunter5

Hunter5 Astrea Snail

Well it died yesterday. Guess ill let the tank sit a while and try again.