clown fish questions

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by grasshopper, May 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Astrea Snail

i have a question about clownfish. true vs. false. true percula are wild clownfish where as false percula are captive bred. this seems wrong to me. one site even said that ocellaris are false clownfish. can someone clarify all of this for me.. and are the black clownfish supposed to be a true or false percula?

thanks

2. Click Here!

3. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Taken from the web.[SIZE=-1]Here is some info:

To help with the identification of these two species, here are distinguishing differences that set them apart from one another, which is more than just being tank-raised or not.

True (percula):
    [/SIZE]

• [SIZE=-2]Because of its name, Amphiprion percula, it is the True Percula Clownfish.[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-2]Typically orange in color with three white bars, with the middle bar having a forward-projecting bulge.[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-2]Has 10 (rarely 9) dorsal spines.[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-2]Usually has jet black margins of varied widths around its white bars, often of which can be rather thick.[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-2]Distribution of this species in nature: Northern Queensland and Melanesia (New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu).[/SIZE]
    False (ocellaris):

• [SIZE=-2]Typically orange in color with three white bars, with the middle bar having a forward-projecting bulge.[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-2]Has 11 (rarely 10) dorsal spines.[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-2]The spinous (anterior) part of the dorsal fin is taller.[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-2]May have no black margins present, but most often has thin, never thick black margins around its white bars.[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-2]Distribution of this species in nature: Andaman and Nicobar Islands (Andaman Sea), Indo-Malayan Archipelago, Philippines, northwestern Australia; coast of Southeast Asia northwards to the Ryukyu Islands.[/SIZE]

Funny little tidbit:
    We have heard some saltwater aquarists say that the difference between the True and False Percula Clown or Anemonefish is simply that the false species is tank-raised in captivity and has never seen the ocean. Hmmmm. So if this is the only reason these clownfish differ, and hypothetically you placed a "tank-raised" Percula into the ocean, does it miraculously become a True Percula Clownfish? What do you think?

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

True and false percula's are two different species of clownfish, it has nothing to do with whether they are captive bred or not. And yes, ocellaris clowns are false percs.

5. grasshopper

grasshopper Astrea Snail

thanks for the info. i read something on a website and it just confused me for some reason.. maybe i am looking to hard..

so what variety to the black and white clown fish come in.. do they come in both true and false flavors?

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Most, if not all (to my knowledge) will be false perc's