Clown Fish Problems

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by southpaw9984, Feb 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. exoticsteve2001

exoticsteve2001 Feather Duster

You arent talking about copper cuprimine?

2. Click Here!

3. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I'll have to do some digging on that for you steve, the specifics are escaping me, but yes they can build up if using the copper sulphate, but the ionic copper won't. But is much much more expensive. The guy I get it from (I don't have any right now so I can't check label for you) Has to order 5 gallon pails as that is the smallest it is available in. And last I remember about 12 oz was nearly $300.

4. southpaw9984

southpaw9984 Plankton

so you suggest i stop the copper? this is odd to me because the store i go to said they recommend it in any fish only tank. i know i can't listen to everything they say but they are a very large and reputable store.

5. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

well if you aren't gonna introduce anything new to your tank, than how can you inadvertently add ich or something harmful? So I see no need to keep running it in your case. And this is how it was recommended to me by my LFS. I just think it's unnecessary but that's MO. If you are more comfortable continuing to run it then it can't hurt, your choice.

And best of luck with that clown.

Jake

6. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

If you choose to add to your system later on you can always start running it again, and I would run it for 4 months or so after you are finished adding to ensure there is nothing harmful in the tank before you discontinue use.

7. Tropical_Supply

Tropical_Supply 3reef Sponsor

Take a look at his gills and see if there is any redness. If there is, it's probably some sort of internal infection. Could be caused by the new fish, could be caused by water problems, or it could be caused by any one of a number of other things.

How often do you check your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph? Are you sure you haven't had any spikes recently?

This happened to me once and even though I got the levels back to normal fairly quickly, the damage was already done. My clown started exhibiting the same signs as yours. He swam up top at first trying to get more air, then slowly gave up and hung out towards the bottom. I got some kent marine rx p and dipped him in it once every couple days. I also soaked some brine shrimp in garlic for a while and fed it to him and it was enticing enough to get him to eat. He made a slow recovery and has since turned back into the normal healthy fish he was to begin with.

8. Click Here!

9. southpaw9984

southpaw9984 Plankton

Tropical Supply,

I will put that down for next time. I did not see anything around the gills at all. Nothing externally was wrong but unfortunately, the fish passed this morning. Very annoying but oh well.

-Jeff

10. southpaw9984

southpaw9984 Plankton

Thanks for the help everyone. I check my water once a week and never had a spike. The water has been clear for a long time

11. vwbug

vwbug Plankton

stop using copper thats your problem just keep doing as much water changes as you can.