clown fish markings "cracking"

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by edwards536, Feb 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. edwards536

edwards536 Plankton

Hi all,
    I bought two common clowns two weeks ago, both around an inch in size..... both seem to be thriving in their new home.
    However, one is slightly more pale in colour and slightly smaller..... but more worryingly, the white stripe above its head has a cracking effect covering the area just above its head. I have searched a few different forums but cant find anything specific......... easiest way to describe it..... it looks like someone has painted his stripe on and now as he is growing its cracking off. ( and before anyone says.... i have not been sold a goldfish with painted stripes!!!)

like i say guys, behaviour is normal and all fish in the tank are fine.... its just the cracking im concerned about.

Have tried taking a few pics but he wont sit still long enough for a close up!!

Any ideas????

2. Click Here!

3. scuzy

scuzy Flamingo Tongue

I wouldn't worry too much if he looks healthy and stuff maybe he got into a fight? Where exactly is he having this issue?

4. edwards536

edwards536 Plankton

its just the area above his head on the foward of his stripes and is only the white which has the cracking.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Just to be on the safe side please google Laterial Line Disease.

Aside from that I would not be too concerned as well, unless LLD resembles what you are seeing.

If LLD does seem like a possibility, maintaining good water quality with the parameters appropriate to a fully cycled marine aquarium, feeding a diet of well balanced quality marine foods and checking for stray voltage should be the interventions.

Good Luck

6. edwards536

edwards536 Plankton

Thanks, have looked into LLD and im pleased to say it does not seem to be similar. I have had a few friends round.....and the general opinion at this stage is it could just be a bit of minor tissue damage where the fish has been scratching...... will keep you all posted with any further developments.

7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

could you post a picture? in terms of the size i would not worry. the dominant one out of the two you have will become a female and will grow considerably larger than the male.

8. Click Here!

9. cj5_dude

cj5_dude Flamingo Tongue

It sounds like what my clown had. I don't know what it was, nor do I know that it was the cause of my fish's demise but my clown did die. I was new to the hobby so it could have been me.

10. bocoboy

bocoboy Banned

could you post pictures