Clown fish Disease or harassment

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Gomie, Apr 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gomie

Gomie Plankton

I posted this under ASAP but thought maybe I should put it here as well.

Last weekend I picked up three clown fish and put them in my QT tank, they are very small about 1 to 1.5 inches long, the little guy in question is just over an inch long and has developed two cloudy white spots on his back tail. I'm not sure if this is a disease of some sort, or if it is from the larger clown nipping at him. Thanks all for your input!

29Gal tank
    Water params..
    Amonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate 5
    PH - 8.0
    Temp - 78F
    Salinity - 1.023
    Alkalinity - 5

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I can somewhat see the white area on the tail but it is hard to tell what is going on.

Is it discolored and damaged? Or just kind of white?
    How is he eating?

How does the rest of the body and fins look..bright orange or fading in color?

Also my LFS who I trust on all bases uses Stress Guard from Seachem for fish nipped by others. She has a 350 and a 135 at her house and swears by it.

4. Gomie

Gomie Plankton

He is not discolored or damaged at all its just two white spots on his rear fin and one on his side. he eats great and is active in the tank. His color is still bright. if he didn't have these white areas I would think he is perfect. I also pulled a more aggressive clown out of the tank today that appeared to be bothering him all the time.

5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I don't think you have anything to worry about

6. Gomie

Gomie Plankton

ok thanks, do you think it wise to keep the aggressive clown out of this tank? Do you think those spots are from being nipped?

7. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Probably from them trying to decide who is the dominate one.. They are both percs? Bought at the same time I assume.. Most clowns when first introduced will go through the dominance battle and will flare up for a couple weeks sometimes.. Just make sure you have some hiding places for the little guy. If they were put in the QT at the same time it is really not territorial thing so it is probably best you put them back together and let them work it out. Otherwise when you put them in the DT they are just going to go through the same thing.

8. Click Here!

9. Gomie

Gomie Plankton

Yes all 3 of them are false percs... I bought them all at the same time from the same tank... The bigger one picks on both of the smaller ones. I don't know if I should just take him back to the LFS or let them hash it out or take all 3 back to the LFS and just get a mated pair... What do you think... The one that gets picked on the most doesn't seem super bothered by it to be honest he goes by the bigger one a lot on his own. I guess I just want to do whats best for all fish involved. What do you think??

10. slocal

slocal Doot!

Get rid of one of them. 3 clowns is asking for trouble since there will always be an odd man out, IMO

11. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Well.. I had three together years ago and they did not have any problems.. It is up to you but I would give it sometime and see if thinks work out between them. If the fins are intact then no major harm is being done. We all hate to see fish picked on but this is natural.. Unfortunately the fish can't just swim away like in the wild. If you really feel it is a big problem then keep the 2 that are sticking together the most and see if your LFS will take back the other one for credit...

I have 2 percs in one tank and 2 Black Ocellaris in another tank. I like to buy one a little bigger than the other as it generally makes the transition smoother.

slocal does make a good point that the third will not be a breeder thought. If one was to die then he might get his shot at glory...

12. slocal

slocal Doot!

Yah, it's almost like a royal scandal with how the 3rd fella waits for one to die so he can weasel on in.