Clown fish biting open brain coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Ducncover, Mar 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

Just picked up this brain coral this weekend and noticed tonight that my female clown fish is picking/rubbing up against it. I did change up my aqua scape and re direct the powerheads about a week ago and put the brain coral were she used to sleep. She didn't sleep there once I rearranged everything so I figured I was good to go with the placement. Should I move the coral? I really like where it's at but don't want to fish to stress and kill it. Picture is the day after I got it and its since opened up alot more.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yeah I would move the coral.

My clown does the same thing, what a pain she is. Sometime I wonder why I keep her since I have to move corals to please her, errrrrrrr.

4. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

I was afraid of that. When I saw it in the store I knew exactly where it was going in my tank. Guess I was wrong.

5. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

Ok so I moved it and now instead of just nipping at it it's full on body rubbing it. I'm going to try the sand bed now which sucks cus I wanted it higher up, but don't want it to get smothered

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I am afraid no matter were you place it now it is doomed.:cry:
    Clowns do Not make good reef inhabitants. Sorry Cheryl.(But I still love them);D

7. _alex_

_alex_ Feather Duster

My clown has been doing this to our open brain for 3 months with no issues. They also sleep in my frogspawn. 25+ heads so. As long as it opens up and takes food I wouldn't worry to much.

8. Click Here!

9. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I agree! But hopefully your brain will accept the clown trying to host it before the brain starves. Everyone always ask me why don't I get a clown or Nemo fish?! Out of all the supposide mean fish I've had (puffer, lions & eels) a clown has been only fish to ever try biting me. I took those 2 back & got a maroon/gold & he was a good one.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

My clown, not the one that throws coral around and bites them, used to sleep laying horizontal on one of my brains, just lay down and sleep that way. The brain was fine and the fish happy.

I do not think every clown is a bad reef tank inhabitant Vinny, frankly few are, as evidenced by many successful hobbyist keeping both without issue. With that said once a clown decides to reside in Euphyllias, over the course of time that relationship does not work out in the corals favor. I know you love them too Vinny, in fact I think you should get another!!!!!

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I've got 3 maroon clowns and they don't ever bother my corals. My sleepr goby on the other hand is terror with all the sand it throws around the tank but that's a whole other thread. Lol. As long as it gets light and is able to feed I wouldn't worry to much yet.

12. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

As far as feeding, ive been puting the top of a 2 litre bottle over the top of the brain and putting mysis through the opening on the top, seemed to eat everything fine. Damn cleaner shrimp are thieving *******s!!