clown fish and my anemones

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by greek machine, Nov 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Hey! I've discovered small colony of unidentified anemones on one of my small LR thanks to my clown fish. It was playing around the LR all the time and made me worried. Only few days ago I've discovered 3 1" anemones on the rock... :tongue4: Though still waiting for the positive ID from friends from Marine Biology Department where I've sent the pictures...

2. Click Here!

3. nrs89

nrs89 Plankton

When i first bought an anemone for my clownfish it didnt accept it right away. What actually happened was I had one clownfish in quarintine (the female) and the male was by himself in the tank. The male showed no intrest over the course of a month in the anemone until I re-introduced the female. She instantly knew what to do and the two started to host in there. Now the female makes a special effort to draw blood from my hand whenever i put my hand in the tank. The two of them are so protective they will defend the anemone from anything.

A while later my mate bought an anemone for his mated clowns but they ignored it for weeks. The male was tank bread so it didnt know what an anemone was. I suggested we swap our females so that:

a) they wouldnt change sex in another tank
    b) my female would teach my mate's male clownfish how to host and vice versa in my tank

It actually worked out really well. My clownfish taught his what to do and when we swapped back it still proved successful. Now both of our mated clownfish successfully host in their own anemones and occasionally spawn. So there you go. If you know someone who has hosting clownfish then run the idea past them and see if they will help.

I hope that made sense. If not i will try to explain it better.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Any Clown I ever had took a few days to a week or so to saddle up with the new anemones. I found out yrs ago that you take a established clown of any type out and away from its host anemone and put it in a tank with the same species and not a clone of its former host anemone it will take awhile before they go full in they will hang then get closer then a little touch all over a few hour's to days to weeks..
    Also if you take the same established clown and wipe its body off with a clean cloth and freshwater it will take time again before it just jumps back in to the host. Not saying all act lie this but all I have dealt with or tried this with , that how they acted.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The first clownfish I had refused to go near the rose BTA until I added a larger clown for its mate.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Glass or rock or majarno's and the ever popular aptasia A rose by any other name :) pest at best if they came in on live rock.. I hate L/r I'm doing battle now with a pest algae that came in on L/r yrs ago .. I'll probably just tear the whole tank down soon. and toss it all and start over with nothing ever exposed to a live rock.. one little speck ): Anemones I can kill :) I'd get the rock with then anemones out asap and kill them off. Or get a predator for them to be controlled by..

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

As I said before, anything small with tentacles makes me nervous...:worried:

:uzi:

:furious3:

Get rid of now, before they get out of hand....!!!

(Blog Entry - 09-27-2007 08:57 AM )

Aptasia!

:mad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BY Steven Pro

Aptasia Impressions

By Morgan Lidster

Inland Aquatics Guide to Controlling Aiptasia Anemones - Inland Aquatics

By Bob Fenner

Aiptasia, My Least Favorite Anemones in Captive Systems

Terry Siegel

Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Editorial: April 2007

:worried:

8. Click Here!

9. Nemo 2

Nemo 2 Bristle Worm

can aptasia move around?because i have a small one who keeps hopping from rock to rock.drivesme crazy looking forit to remove it.but i just leave it in there because i dont know if it is or isnt.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

All anemones can move so the answer to your question is yes :)

11. Nemo 2

Nemo 2 Bristle Worm

so aptasia is a form of anenome?then is it good or bad really or is it one of those things that each person should identify themselves if they want or dont want.

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

In a reef tank, they're bad because they will multiply quickly and sting the heck out of your corals. I've seen an aiptasia get so big that it actually ate a medium sized seahorse.