clown fish and my anemones

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by greek machine, Nov 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. greek machine

greek machine Plankton

Have 3 clown fish,75lb live rock,some crabs and 3 bubble tip anemones.ve had the clown fish now for about 3 weeks,all about 2 inches but they just swim infront of the tank,have never gone through any live rock caves or even venture to the back of the tank let alone get near any of the anemones.They eat like pigs,super healthy.Do you think they need more time to adjust?Even when the lights go out they just swim against the current all night long.Normal?Am I missing smething?:-/

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

My clown took a month before he went inside his anemone. give them more time, let nature take its course.

4. greek machine

greek machine Plankton

5. MILLERTIME

MILLERTIME Feather Duster

yeah they dont reconize them all the time. if you have a tank raised clowns they my never know what an anemone is. and just keep swimming. like my little perc. my wild maroon yellow stripe clown took 3 weeks and he owned the anemone

6. greek machine

greek machine Plankton

Makes sence millertime,thanks..

7. MILLERTIME

MILLERTIME Feather Duster

thats why we are here

8. Click Here!

9. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

i have 2 tank breed clowns that had no idea what the anemone was
    so i got a margarine container about the same size as the anemone and filled it with water and added the 2 clowns whith the lights switched off for an hour also had a air stone in there, now they never go further than a foot from it the only drama i have is they dont feed the anemone

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What kind of clowns have you got (you might have a species that won't recognize bubble tips as a host).

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Ahhh, good point.

My experience is that when a clown sees the specific kind of anemone that its species like. They jump right in with gusto!

Clownfish Host Anemones
    By John H. Tullock

Copywright ©1996 All rights reserved

Nine species of clownfish host anemones are summarized below, and are listed in order from the hardiest to the most difficult. I have omitted Cryptodendrum adhesivum, an uncommon, difficult species. Common associations with clownfish species available as tank-reared specimens for the aquarium are included.

Entacmaea quadricolor, Bulb, Bubble-Tip or Maroon Anemone - Tentacles inflated at tips, with white band and pink tip (usually). Red or pink form called Rose Anemone. Attaches to hard surface. In nature hosts Maroon and Bluestrip clownfishes. In aquarium will also host Tomato and Clark's clownfishes, also. Can be propagated in captivity. The best choice for hobbyist aquariums.

Macrodactyla doreensis, Long Tentacle Anemone - Column always red or salmon pink, with veruccae underneath oral disk. Buries column in substrate. Seldom confused. Natural symbionts are Clark's and Pink Skunk clownfishes; in aquarium often accepted by Maroon, Bluestripe and Tomato clowns, as well.

Heteractis crispa, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone, Leathery Anemone - Column tough, leathery, and buried in substrate. Tentalces long and pointed, often bright purple in color. Not common in trade. Hosts Clark's, Bluestripe, True Percula, Pink Skunk and Saddleback clownfishes.

Heteractis malu, Sebae Anemone, Singapore Sebae, Hawaiian Sand Anemone - Column and oral disk uniform pale color, with stubby tentacles usually tipped in magenta. Column buried in substrate. Seldom confused. Hosts only Clark's clownfish in nature, and may host Tomato and Bluestripe clowns in the aquarium. Only host available from within the USA.

Heteractis aurora, Beaded Anemone, Aurora Anemone - Not common in aquarium trade. Buries column in substrate; tentacles with raised, white ridges unmistakable. Only common aquarium clown hosted is Clark's.

Heteractis magnifica, Magnificent Anemone, Ritteri Anemone, Red Radianthus Anemone - Seldom mistaken. Attaches to hard surfaces in good current and bright light; may wander. Column smooth, often colorful; tentacles always slightly inflated, with yellow or white pigment at tips. Hosts Clark's, Bluestripe, Ocellaris ("Percula"), True Percula, and Pink Skunk clowns. Not for beginners, difficult.

Carpet Anemones:

Stichodactyla gigantea, Giant Carpet Anemone - Tentacles longer than other carpet anemones, and slightly pointed at tips. May be blue, turquoise or purple in color. Hosts Clark's, Ocellaris, and True Percula clowns.

S. haddoni, Haddon's Carpet, Saddle Carpet Anemone - Tentacles almost always two colors, imparting a mottled appearance. Hosts Saddleback and Clark's clownfishes.

S. mertensi, Merten's Carpet, Sri Lanka Carpet - Tentacles stubby, knob-like, uniform brown or occassionally bright green in color. Hosts Clark's and Ocellaris clownfishes.

Keeping Anemones:

Host anemones can live to be very old in the oceans, and should only be attempted by hobbyists willing to provide for their requirements. Choose the hardier species. Water conditions must be within the parameters recommended for coral reef aquariums. Provide intense, wide spectrum lighting. Anemones need the same light conditions required by many stony corals. Most host anemones bury the column in substrate. The exceptions are Entacmaea quadricolor and Heteractis magnifica. If one of the other species fails to bury its column, the substrate may bee too coarse or irritating. Soft, sandy substrates are best. Anemones seem to do best if the aquarium is kept at 75€F, and do not seem to do as well at warmer temperatures. Unless you know from experience that the anemone will not be stung by another type of polyp, do not put other coelenterate polyp specimens into the same tank with the anemone. Anemones require good water circulation, but can be damaged by a forceful current directed straight at them. Always handle anemones gently. Be especially careful if the anemone must be removed from a solid surface. Damage to the tentacles of the anemone is usually not significant, but damage to the pedal disk or column may be fatal.

12. Nemo 2

Nemo 2 Bristle Worm

if your like me just dont have an anenome.i figured since i tried 3 of them for my percs and they didnt like any and costing me 1 death i figured i would just not have one(but ima try another again later this week hahaha)