Clown Breeding Again, Under 3 Weeks!

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by ComputerJohn, Jan 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Ok, my clown that I have had for over 4 years is acting very weird. It is super fat and has a light tan color tube that is exposed underneath her. The pair are picking at the rock cave under the anemone that they host. Should I do anything?

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

congrats, that sounds like fast approaching spawning / egg laying will occur

if you can remove the rock that they spawn on and set up in seperate container with airstone to replicate the water movement that the parents would encourage with mouth and fins - your chances of them hatching will improve (community set ups are a pain for the parents to protect the eggs and often they give up and eat them themselves)

Steve

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sure sounds like a spawn is going to take place in the near future, cool.

Not too much you can do, unless you are prepared to attempt to raise the fry, which gets more complicated than you might think.

Providing the fry with the appropriate nutrition is a challange and takes plannng and practice.

If you are interesting in rasing the fry in the future I suggest beginning with Joyce Wilkersons book Clownfish.

5. ComputerJohn

Thanks guys. If I could save them that would be great. I do have a air pump laying around and I do have my frag tank as well. I could make a temp breeder for the eggs. But how do I take the eggs, baster?

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

6. TMWTim

TMWTim Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Looks and sounds like that is exactly what is about to happen. Congrats! That is a sure sign that your tank conditions are very good.

What I would do if it were me is to not worry a whole lot about this spawn, if that is indeed what is about to take place. *when the female drops her tube it is a pretty good sign. What I would do is run a full on battery of tests on your water conditions. Test everything you can. From temp to Cal and everything in between. Reason being is you want to have a grasp what was going on in your tank the last few days....weeks. It is good to know the exact parameters of the tank when she drops the first eggs. You want to be sure to maintain sure conditions if you wish for it to happen again.

I would then, like what was said, do some research on caring for the spawn if you wish to raise them. There are a ton of articles, even a few youtubes, on the subject and your objective is to put yourself in a position to handle the situation when it arises again...which it will. Right now you can learn from the spawn and how the pair react which will help you the next time.

Regardless, hope it all works out! Well done and I hope if you try to raise this bunch it all goes well. It can be done!...i'm just throwing some advice for the next time they get it on.

7. hydrologic

hydrologic Feather Duster

First, like Corailline said, read Joyce Wilkerson's book.
    Second, you need to get a live rotifer culture going. You can order them live and grow them out in a 5 gallon bucket, heater, air pump, 5 gallons of sterile water mixed with your salt (no using tank water) some rigid airline tubing that goes to the bottom, a valve which allows you to limit the amount of bubbles coming out to about 2 per second (no air-stone), and enough nanochloropsis to keep the water a constant green tint (Rotifers eat the nano).

Third, you need a black container (black 5g bucket, the fry can hunt the Rotifers much more easily against a black background), heater, air pump, rigid airline tubing (no air stone, fine bubbles will injure the tiny fry, and again, only about 2 bubbles per second), 5 gallons of tank water, a tiny light to illuminate the Rotifers.

Fourth, let the eggs stay with the parents until they've developed silver eyes and a definite silver stripe down their back. When this occurs the eggs will hatch that night (usually about 30min to an hour after lights out). The easiest way is to turn off all pumps and check the tank every 20 min. Then when you see the fry swarming your tank, use a bright flashlight to draw them to the surface
    and scoop them out with a bowl, not a net.

Fifth, place them in the black heated bucket and feed about 500,000 rotifers. A good rotifer culture should grow about 6million a day. Usually the Rotifers are scooped out with a very very fine net, or a coffee filter. You'll know the fry are feasting when see their stomachs' turning silver.

Sixth, do two one gallon water changes a day until they can eat larger foods like live baby brine. You must be very careful whe doing this.

Raising clowns is a huge commitment. Keep this in mind.

Happy Reefing -Jarrett

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

Thank you for the advise. I did a water test this past Sunday and here was my water specs:

PH: 8.3
    KH: 8
    CA: 500
    MG: 1400
    Temp: 76
    SG: 1.026

I'll test it again tomorrow & see what it is at..

10. ComputerJohn

Ah, damn it just layed eggs... I'll keep you guys posted!!!!!!

11. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

lol I would like to see some pics if the expected mother to be isnt to busy LOL

12. ComputerJohn

Got some pics, no the greatest, but I didn't want to turn on the T5s..

Attached Files: