Cloudy water

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by markgm87, Jul 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. markgm87

markgm87 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I mixed up some salt water Monday and was going to do a water change today. Last night I decided to add some ph buffer to the salt water mix because I have had a low running ph in my tank and thought I would try to add it to the new saltwater before I added it to the tank. Well I got up this morning and all the water in the new saltwater is cloudy and a white film on the sides of the garbage can. My question is what happened and can I still use this water or make another batch of water?

2. Click Here!

3. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I am sure you are doing this but do you use a power head to keep it mixing in the can until you use it and a heater?

Run all the tests you do to check your tank. If they match I don't see a problem. But you may want to air on the side of caution and just make a new batch to avoid any problems down the road.

4. MIKE SURTEES

MIKE SURTEES Plankton

Hi, When you mixed your buffer in your make up tub, was it the concentration normaly put direct into the tank ..along with a few ltr's of tank water. Regards.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yep, too much was added to too small amount of water and it caused a precipitation event.