Cloudy/hazy water...new tank syndrome?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by rsxplicyt, Jan 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rsxplicyt

rsxplicyt Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

A long description, but I suspect a very easy, quick question for someone on here...

New 60g DT + 20g sump system was set up ~1 wk. ago. The LFS is still curing the live rock so it's just sand and saltwater right now.

First, fine grain sand (not "live") from the LFS was rinsed/washed in fresh RO/DI water. It was said to have been "pre-rinsed" and "requires minimal washing," so while it was rinsed it might not have been well enough. Then, the tank was filled with fresh RO/DI water. Filter system was fired up to circulate. Stress Coat Marine was added to remove chlorine/chloramines as per recommended dosage. Instant Ocean Reef Crystals was added in increments as per directions.

Throughout the past several days, the water has been varying degrees (slightly to moderately) of cloudy/hazy. Initially, I observed that the positioning of the return nozzles was slightly agitating the substrate. I thought this might be the sole cause, so I re-positioned them. I also slightly closed the flow valve on the return pump. Things improvement, but several days later the water still was not clear. The overflow/pre-filter sponge, bubble diffusing sponge in the sump and the mechanical filter pad are being cleaned regularly. They are definitely removing some stuff...more than I would expect for a brand new tank with nothing in it. I am not running any activated carbon, I do have some bio-balls, and my protein skimmer has never been turned on (was going to wait until the live rock went in). I also notice a very thin layer of white precipitate at the bottom of my sump (I suspect from the salt mix). No water changes made yet, just some top-off of evaporated water with fresh RO/DI.

Am I just making much ado about nothing...will this just settle out with more time? Is it bacteria/cycle related at all? Or perhaps just related to the sand cleaning/mixing salt in tank process? It's my first saltwater setup. Any suggestions? (I was considering using a little of the Kent Marine Pro-Clear Marine...but that's more a band-aid and I'd rather understand the root cause). Someone please help. Thanks!

Some current conditions: Temp.=75.4F, pH=8.17, sg=1.024

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

why havent you added the LR yet? if you add it later it would only make matters worse.
    how long has the tank been set up?

4. rsxplicyt

Because my LFS is curing it for me...it's expected to be ready this Saturday...the timing fell in between their "batches"

5. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

You shouldn't be adding any chemicals as of this moment, and you should have mixed the salt water before adding it to the tank rather than put salt directly into the tank. While throwing salt in the tank at this point wont hurt anything (seeing as its an empty tank) dont get used to doing so. This will cause cloudiness as will fresh sand.
    Just keep the lights off and leave it be for a while. If it doesnt clear up in a few more days then it could be algae/bacteria related.

6. rsxplicyt

I was told it would not be a problem (mixing the start-up batch of saltwater in the tank). Obviously, I have a separate setup now in place for mixing all saltwater for water changes. I should also mention the lights have never been turned on yet (after all, it's just sand and water)

I was hoping to have it clear before the live rock goes in...but from what I've heard...putting the LR in and turning the skimmer on could clear it right up...

7. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

i too was poorly recommended by a LFS to mix my first batch of salt in my DT. horrible idea... in fact if you search on my posts i posted about my hell-week of "salt-creep" and wound up having to take a brand new clean towel and totally scrub the inside of the tank to get the crap off.

its been 3 weeks now and there is still traces of salt built up in certain areas in the fuge which im cleaning.

the LR should be in now as others already stated. you do realize that the curing they're doing is going to be basically pointless the moment that rock gets pulled out of the water and hits the air, gets thrown into a plastic bag, and given to you right? the moment the rock hits the air the spores on it die. so you'll still have die-off regardless and start a new cycle in the tank.

i just setup my tank ~3 weeks ago now, and im still dealing with the initial die-off of the LR i bought. its a time-consuming process, but from what ive read and seen in pictures its totally worth the hassle. you just have to scrub the rock weekly and siphon out the die-off. theres articles on curing, do a quick google search.

from what i understand its best to do it in the new tank to help the cycle. in a established tank its best to 'cure' it as best you can out of the main system and add it in so there is minimal die-off. you can still start a mini-cycle (quick spike of NO2/NO3) by adding it in though.

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

IMO, that's not a bad idea, I did it and it worked just fine. It's the most logical solution to mixing the salt water, especially with larger tanks. Many people do it with no problem. The cloudiness probably has resulted from either Ca or Alk precipitating b/c the salt wasn't mixed well enough or for some reason the levels of those elements was too high. Give it a few days, if after that it still is cloudy, then it may be bacterial in nature as the bacteria needs some place to go, the live rock, without anything in the tank, there may not be enough surface space for the bacteria, forcing them into the water.

10. rsxplicyt

Thank you very much for the help guys...wish I would have checked with you all first! Looks like my first of many lessons that I will learn along the way. I'm determined to do this right! I think I will drain it and try again, especially now that I have the setup to mix my saltwater outside of the tank. Plus, I am familiar with the curing process (I just thought the LFS was saving me the hassle by doing it for me, lol)...so I suppose I should just get the LR in and cure it myself...it doesn't sound too bad...plus at least there will be more to look at than what I have right now...

11. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

its not bad at all. took me five minutes to clean up my ~25lbs or LR today. plus you'll have more porous room for the bacterial colonies to start thriving in

1 person likes this.
  12. rsxplicyt

OK, so while I do agree with this...my understanding is that API's Stress Coat Marine is reef-safe...so with my new fill should I just go with the RO/DI water + salt mix? I presume this product doesn't add anything with neutralizing chlorine/chloramine that the RO/DI process doesn't already take care of?