Cloudy eye

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Siddique, Feb 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

I am expirencing the the same thing with my blue hippo tang I just soak my food in a high vitamin supplement heard garlic is the best but I dont have acces to. its been 4 days and his eye is almost healed up and what i found out that most eye infections are caused by a scrape and he loves to sleep in between rocks. if you dont think its a scrape then it will most likely advance into ick or move to both eyes so I read.

2. Click Here!

3. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Thanks for the info. I Just finished the dip and already corneal epithelium has started to erode...

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Freshwater will do little to nothing for a bacterial infection , other then maybe just adding to the stress level and lowering the immune defenses of the animal .. Get some sort of antibiotic even if its for humans or dogs ,cats 250 mg per 10gallons .. Many vets will sell if also if a LFS does not carry any type them .Cloudy eye is not pop eye and it can be transfered from one to another fish ... Good luck

1 person likes this.
  5. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I'm working on getting the antibiotics but I may have to wait till tomorrow. I need some advise from a vet though as to what antibiotic to use. Maybe a penicillin derivative. For now I'm using an anti fungal med from Azoo with garlic.

Will the live rock be a good idea for food?

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Like Crazy Tang posted will do you its not critical what one you have but just use one.. I always keep a pack or Maracyin 1 and 2 on hand
    Quote crazytang Check your LFS for other bacterial meds. Anything with ingredient ending in-cillin/cin, etc erthryomycin or penicillin will work.

Will the live rock be a good idea for food?

I'm not sure what this question means ?

And if anyone keeps large Angels always have a good supply of broad spectrum antibiotics and fungal medications on hands they and Butterfly's also will break out for no reasons at all nature of the beast .

7. crazytang

crazytang Plankton

I think he means the fish will eat polyps/zoos off the rock since it isn't eating any prepared food. I'm not sure how absorbant the live rock will be to anti-bacterials.....

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Oh I have never seen any ill effects from the use of any antibiotics on live rock.. I used to think that it was certain death back in the early 70's I had a LFS and I was loosing Large angels and butterfly's by the bags full . A local Family Dr used to stop by the shot he kept Angels ,, He told me to treat them I gave the it will kill the bacteria reply and the systems will die :) He dosed the entire tank of the fish and it saved them all and never harmed the system simple old Penicillin 250 mg per 10 gallons and I have used it thousands of times since and never harmed a rock or animal I know of.

I'd dose my tank right now if I needed to

10. crazytang

crazytang Plankton

Whats a good way to determine if an infection is bacterial or fungal in origin? I've posted the problem with my tang in the ASAP forum, that no1 has replied to.

11. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the penicillin tomorrow if I can't get the Maracyin. How often should I do water changes tho? When using the penicillin? The QT tank is 75gal and the sump is another 15gal. Also my vet friend suggested that 250mg per 10gal could also depend on the size of the fish and I think 250mg is the regular human dosage???
    In the mean time tho I need to coax her into eating so I'm gonna use the polyps.
    I have no idea how to determine fungal or bacterial

12. CaptainNemo

CaptainNemo Astrea Snail

Howdy,

I have some cloudy eye on my tangs as well...This is due to the amonia created in my tank during the cleaning of the sump..I have been feeding
    Spectrum Thera + A (contains vitamins) , adding Immuvit (natural immune stimulant and B vitamin), and Lipovit too boost their immune systems..

I am also using Nitrigon tablets to get rid of amonia and adding Reef Evolution (good bacteria) to fight the bad ones...:)

So far the cloudy eyes are getting less and less day by day..