Cloudy eye

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Siddique, Feb 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

How do i treat a queen angel with cloudy eye?should i use copper?

2. Click Here!

3. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I heard that Garlic works well as it is an anti-oxidant. Should I try that? I'm gonna be dosing the tank with fromalin tomorrow following a freshwater bath. Need some help here guys:confused:

4. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Here are the problems that I can see. He isn't rubbing against anything so I eliminated Ich and /or flukes. However, I see what appears to be abrasions close to her gill plate. The edges of the fins are somewhat frayed and of course the cloudy eye. This is my first time in treating a saltwater fish and I'm hoping to have success with it as I love this fish to death. I have absolutely no idea what to do.:confused:

Attached Files:

5. crazytang

crazytang Plankton

I wouldn't eliminate ich so quickly, but its more likely a bacterial infection. To cover both bases I would do a freshwater dip. Never leave the fish unattended at any time. The longer time he is in the FW dip, the better(5-15 min).Take him out at the first signs of stress.Never medicate in your main tank. I would quarantine him and use a copper based med in combo with a bacterial med (from your LFS).There are drawbacks to using copper - possibility of liver damage etc. see other forums, but it has been effective for me. What other fish do you have in your tank? I guess its not a reef tank either.

Hope that helps.

6. crazytang

crazytang Plankton

BTW, thats a spectacular fish - hope he gets better.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Go get some Mardel labs Maracyin 1 its a broad spectrum antibiotic and treat the infection its totaly tank safe or wait and let it get worse ? I have seen fish to have their entire eye to pop out the socket from an infected eye .

8. Click Here!

9. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I'm gonna do the FW dip in a few. She is in a QT tank now but she isn't eating any prepared foods so I'm thinking about putting some live rock with polyps in to try to get her to start eating. The main tank isn't a reef tank either.
    Thanks for the info... Am gonna prepare the water for the dip now.

10. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I'll try to get that antibiotic here in Trini but I highly doubt I'll be able to get it so I may have to ship it from the US which will take about 2-3 weeks to get here so I fear that she may die between now and then.
    Hope I can stop this before it gets worse.

11. crazytang

crazytang Plankton

Check your LFS for other bacterial meds. Anything with ingredient ending in-cillin/cin, etc erthryomycin or penicillin will work.

12. mufassathelion

mufassathelion Skunk Shrimp

if the eye "pops" out is normally known as pop-eye i had that in a fw tank and what seemed as a instant cure was a 50% water change... cloudy eyes in fw is due from poor water quality and not enough water changes..... saltwater on the other hand i dont know.